Chapter thirty two ~ interview

“I-” Namjoon started. He was on a news show and had millions watching. He had to be careful of what he said.

    “Yes Mr. Kim? Please go over the story you told the police.”

    “I have recently found out that my partner, Jackson Wang, was involved in illegal activities; selling company secrets and blackmailing others, using the money to bribe influential people to take our company higher. He had plans of taking me down and replacing me with his son so that he could be even richer.”

    “These are really serious allegations Mr. Kim. Do you have proof?”

    “Yes I do. I have some documents -mostly letters Jackson has received from people asking him to send more money or pleading him to stop blackmailing along with some he has written in response. I have presented all those to the police and they are going through them thoroughly as we speak.”

    “How and when have you come up with these documents Mr. Kim?”

    “Actually, Jackson’s secretary came up to me one day. She had been delivering the letters to the post office for years without questioning, until one day when she finally decided to see for herself what was going on. When she saw what Jacskon has been doing, she came directly to me.”

    “Why hasn’t she gone to the police?”

    “She was scared and so was I. When Jackson learned that she was opening his letters, he threatened to hurt her and ruin her life forever. I don’t even want to think what he would have done if he found out that she was actually taking a copy of them and bringing them to me. We couldn’t have gone to the police without being 100% sure and able to prove our case.”

    “May we learn who this girl is?”

    “Her name is Bae Irene. She has been truly really brave. Now I have made sure that she is staying safe in her home. I will personally see to it that Jackson never gets to her.”

    “And when did she first come to you and how long did it last?”

    “September, she brought me about 15 letters over the course of a week.”

    “That is a long time ago Mr. Kim. Why haven’t you come clean about it sooner?”

    “I wanted to. I confronted him the second I learned what he was doing. Shortly after that though, I was attacked and all the papers I had were stolen. I had no evidence, nothing to accuse him with. I was scared he’d do something to Irene so I didn’t speak. After he found out, he started going to the post office himself so we couldn’t just start over. Now, I have recently obtained the documents again, someone really close to Jackson stole them to take a copy and gave them to me.”

    Bogum, who was watching it quietly, took a deep breath. He knew it was inevitable, he knew Namjoon had to mention him somehow. But he also knew deep down that Jackson was sure it was him who gave the papers. His father knew he was the rat.

    He was scared. What Irene did was brave, she had sold out her employer for justice. But it wasn’t the same as him. He had sold out his father. Irene had places to run if everything went bad. Bogum was the only remaining blood relative of Jackson, he couldn’t just run away from him.

    He was staying with Yoongi and Hoseok that day. Hoseok had invited him over for tea and Yoongi had just rolled his eyes and shrugged. Now, the boyfriends were looking at him with sympathetic eyes.

    “What you did was really brave.” Yoongi said, surprising Bogum.

    “Thank you.” Bogum said faintly, smiling. “That means a lot.”