Chapter eight

On the walk to school this morning it was just me, Mandy, Lip, and Ian. Usually Karen tags along but not today. "I love half days" Mandy says and I pull my coat around me tighter. "Hey kid. yeah you" A truck driver says to Lip as we're walking past. "You gotta phone?" he asks Lip. "Oh did your truck break down?" Lip asks innocently. "Nah I just like to stand outside in shitty neighborhoods with my dick in my hand. Come on kid I'm already two hours late and my kid drowned my battery playing doodle jump, my wife took my charger, please. I'll give you five dollars for one call" The man says. "Sorry we dont have a phone. Our dad says not until we're eighteen but theres a bar about tn blocks that way" Lip tells the guy and throws his arm over my shoulder and pulls me close to him. "ten blocks! okay fine. This is yours if you watch this truck and make sure nobody gets near it" The man says waving a five dollar bill at us. "Wow five dollars. Thanks mister" Ian taunts and the guy starts walking. As soon as hes out of ear shot Mandy hands Lip her phone and he calls Kev and tells him where we are and he better bring a crow bar. Kev brings fiona, v, the kids, steve, everyone so we can haul all the meat thats in the back of this truck to the house. When we get it open theres whole animals handing from the ceiling. When we get it all home we realize we dont have enough room for whole animals so Kev and Lip head out to borrow a chain saw so we can cut it up. 

We start wrapping the cut meet in newspapers and Kev comes through the back door while Fiona and I are wrapping. "Who's got the chainsaw?" She asks. "Lip" Kev says and Fi shakes her head. "Thats a great idea. Give a kid a chainsaw" she says and Steve starts trying to convince her to stay in a hotel with him tonight again even though she already said she wasnt going. Kev explains to her that Fiona is a hood girl not a fancy girl. Steve comes up with this great idea and picks up Liam and leaves. When he comes back he doesnt have Liam anymore and told Fi that he left him with Sheila for the night so she could go but she continues to argue with him. "Theres more kids than Just Liam". "Lets go ask them, Come on Emma" He says and makes me and Fiona come outside. "Can you kids live one night without Fiona?" He asks and we all say yes. "Emmas here and shes very responsible" Steve says. "Hey what about me?" Lip argues. "Like he said, Emmas here" I smile at him and go back inside to finish wrapping meat. Steve storms out after yelling at Fiona some more and then a guy is at the door with all of Franks mail. Fiona starts going through it and realizes that Frank has a credit card in all of the kids names. "He even has one in Emma's name" Lip says reading a credit card statement. "This puts us all in debt. Even Liam and hes just a baby" I sigh. 

Fiona decided to go to the hotel with Steve after all, she really needed it. Lip grilled all of us meet tonight since we just got a crap ton of it. Its so delicious. Lip is sitting there picking meat off the bone and picking the fat off of it and handing chunks of just meat to me and keeping some for himself. "This would be good with some beef flavored ramen noodles" I say and Lip nods. "Hell yeah it would".  When Frank comes in he smiles at us sitting there. "show of hands who in here has wanted me to die?" He asks. we all raise our hands. "I dont even know you" He points to me. "But you put a credit card in my name" I say crossing my arms. "Fair enough. If you kids will help me out you can see me dead for awhile" Frank smiles. "Tell us more" Lip tells him. "Well.. theres some guys that say if i dont give them six grand by tomorrow then theyre gonna kill me so were gonna dake my death" He tells us and we get to work. 

When Fiona and Steve get home with Liam we are setting up the funeral. Of course Fiona has a lot of questions. "Go get changed. I steamed your black dress" Debbie tells Fiona. Once we're all ready we finish getting Frank ready and hes shit talking about being a good dad. He has already had a lot of the horse tranquilizer but he isnt out yet. Lip starts arguing with him and I knew he was about to punch Frank and I tried to hold him back but he gently pushes me back and punches him ,and knocks him out. 

After the fake funeral and the killers are gone we party because we pulled it off. Karen is no where to be seen so I take my chance to dance with Lip. "Excuse me sir, you owe me a dance from the wedding, when you blew me off to go fuck your girlfriend in the bathroom" I say taking the cigarette from between his lips and taking a drag. "I owe you more than a dance" He says and we go out and dance closely to Franks singing. "I owe you an apology for sometimes putting Karen above you. I dont know what I was thinking. You mean more to me" He says. I couldve taken my chance to lean in and kiss him, but I decided not to embarrass myself. I could finally admit to myself now that, I like Lip Gallagher.