chapter eighteen

"Lip up?" Fiona asks when I come downstairs. I shake my head and she sighs. Since we found out about Karens pregnancy we havent seen much of Lip. Once again our relationship got put on hold because of Karen. Debbie disappears upstairs and I hear Lip's feet hit the ground. I can hear him walking around and taking to Debbie. "Here take him this" Fiona tells me handing me a cigarette. I take it up to him and he sighs when he sees me. "I'm sorry" He says. "You say that everytime you see me Lip" I tell him and put the cigarette between his lips. I light it for him and he wraps his arms around my waist. "I'm sorry" he mumbles again. "Lip its not your fault... or actually it might be your fault. But I'm not gonna hold it against you. I just want to know what your planning on doing about Karen" I tell him quietly. "I dont wanna be with her. I want you" He says and takes the cigarette from his mouth and kisses my cheek gently.

Lip leaves and I sit at the table with Ian. "What do you think?" He asks me. "I think that the world doesnt want me and Lip to be together. Every time something starts to happen between us, Karen comes back into the picture and fucks everything up. I mean good for her, shes having a baby but does she have to have Lips baby?" I say and my voice cracks at the end. "I know. It's not fair" He sighs and stands up opening his arms. I walk into them and he wraps his arms around me and lets me cry into his chest. I straighten myself up and wipe my eyes. "A lot of shit has happened to me, I can get through anything" I say and the doorbell rings. I go to open it and find Holly standing there. "Can I help you little tramp?" I ask and she sighs. "Are my underwear in Lip's room? It's my lucky pair" She asks. "Not that lucky apparently. I havent seen them" I tell her and just as I'm about to shut the door Debbie stops me with ton of makeup on her face. "Let me talk to Holly real quick please" She tells me and I grab her face gently. "Okay, but then you need to wash your face okay. I can help you with your makeup" I tell her and she smiles and nods.

A little while later I'm sitting on our bed while Ian does push ups in the floor and Lip comes in and gets out the pot box. He takes out a joint I rolled earlier. "Went to Karens house and tried to step up, and she told me to fuck off" He tells us lighting thr joint and passing it to me. Ian gets up and gets in his face about to application the army guy brought over for Lip, instead of Ian. They get into a heated argument about it so I grab Lips hands and drag him downstairs so they will quit. When we get about half way down Ian opens his mouth again and says "get back to your whore. Who knows if the kid will be yours or be your brother". I just let go of Lips arm because I knew shit was about to go down. He turns around and calmly walks up the stairs before punching Ians jaw and pushing him up against the bathroom mirror. They start rolling around the bathroom while taking swings at each other, and even end up in the tub and the water gets turned on. "Ill make westpoint on my own, I dont fucking need you" Ian yells at him and then stomps off. I grab a towel and turn the water off. "Here" I say crouching down and drying Lip's face off and then giving him the towel.

At the town bbq Lip is really upset. One because of Karen, two because of the fight with Ian today. We're walking past a big buff guy and Lip has his arm around my waist. The buff guy and Lip knock shoulders. "Fucking watch it" Lip spats. I know hes only doing this because hes upset. He starts taunting the guy and mr.buff's fist collides with Lips face. He stumbles back and then walks back up to him. "Is that all?" He asks and the guy punches him again. I get a rag and dampen it and when I come back, Lip is gone. I find him sitting under the rail road tracks with a cigarette hanging from his lips. "Lip" I sigh and he looks up. "Im sorry" He sasys. "Lip im so tired of hearing that. It's starting to lose meaning" I say and sit down next to him. I take the cigarette and hold it between my lips and start to gently wipe the blood off his face. "Why do you put up with my shit?" He questions me. "Because you mean a lot to me" I tell him. "okay and? Ian means a lot to me and I punched him in the jaw today" He bickers. "Well I'm hoping I mean a lot to you in other ways than Ian does. And I hope you wouldnt punch my in the jaw" I smile a little. His hand cups my face and he kisses my jaw, then my lips. "I could never" He whispers against my skin.