chapter fifty seven

"Gross" I mumble when I walk past Maddie's room and see her and Brad kissing. I walk down to the kitchen and see mom and dad eating lunch. "Was Maddie's bedroom door still open when you walk passed?" Dad asks me. I look at their tuna fish and crackers and go to find something else to eat. "Yes sir" I say and get down a bag of boil in a bag rice. I had already told my dad and Maddie about the baby. "Cravings are starting" Mom sing songs and I laugh. "Rice just sounds so good. With butter and salt" I say and they look at me strangely. "It was my favorite poor meal" I tell them. "Mine was sugar toast" Maddie says coming into the kitchen with Brad at her heels. "Whats a poor meal?" Brad asks and I laugh. "I started working when I was twelve to make money for food for me and Maddie. Not a lot of places will hire a twelve year old so I didnt have much money and we had to eat cheap. Sugar toast, Rice with butter and salt, butter noodles, oh my gosh pizza toast was the best. I want pizza toast" I say and putt he rice back up. "Whats sugar toast?" Mom asks making a face. "You mix sugar and cinnamon together and spread butter on some bread and put the mix on it and put it in the oven and it's so good" I say as I make pizza toast. "I gotta ask, Butter noodles?" Brad asks and Maddie laughs. "Its spaghetti noodles" She starts. "Or whatevers cheapest" I remind her. "And butter. Thats all" She tells him. "Sometimes theres salt if that was in the budge" I laugh and she nods. "We had tuna a lot too" I say. "You hate Tuna" dad tells me. "I know" I say making a face.

"I have a date tonight. Will you please watch Liam?" Debbie asks on my doorstep. "Of course" I smile and Liam hugs me. "Hey sweet cheeks" I smile. "Be careful Debs. Be safe and dont be stupid" I tell her and she nods. "Love you!" I call to her as she runs to her boyfriends car. "Love you too!" She calls back. I smile as I shut the door. "Year really apart of their family arent you" Dad says and I smile. "Of course. They took me and Maddie in when we needed it most" I smile. "Theyre our second family" Maddie smiles at him. "Hey Liam" She smiles at him. "Hi Maddie. Hi Brad. Want to go play basketball?" Liam asks. "Heck yeah little dude. Lets go" Brad says and goes outside with Maddie and Liam to play. "Maddie loves those Gallaghers just as much as you do" Mom smiles. "Carl is her bestfriend and first crush. Thankfully she got over it and found Brad since the little shit got himself thrown in Juvie" I laugh. "Yeah I'd definitely have my hands full if I had to deal with Maddie dating that one" Dad says. "Speaking of Gallaghers hows Lip?" Mom asks. "Oh my gosh I forgot to tell you. The guy that created topless maid services paif his tuition and told him he didnt have to pay it back until after college. Interest free" I tell them. "Thats amazing! He gets to stay in school!" Mom says excitedly and I nod. "I told him to graduate and get a kick ass job so he can take care of me and the little one" I smile and rub my stomach slightly.

When I take Liam home later I find two army guys pulling Ian out. "What the hell?" I ask running over. "Really hurts to have someone you love being taken away huh?" Sammy asks as Fiona, Mickey, and I watch Ian get driven away.