chapter nine

"Im going to the store today" Fiona says as were all waking up this morning. Shes walking around with a notebook and a pencil. "toilet paper. I'm starting to chafe from streamers" Debbie says. "Toothpaste" Carl says before brushing his teeth with baking soda. "Are we out of diapers?" Fi asks when Lip and I walk out with Liam wrapped in a towel. "get a deodorant for the boys to share and a deodorant for the girls to share. I'm tired of smelling Like Ian all the time" I tell her as I walk past. "good idea. That towels gonna leak" She says. "We got it" I say and we poke leg holes in a bag and put Liam in it. "Whered you get a Taser?" Fiona asks Carl. "He got invited to Robbies party but hes not going" Ian says from the shower. "So I gave him the taser to play with. It doesnt work" Lip says. "Why arent you going to the paintball party Fi questions Carl. "It cost twenty seven dollars to go" He says sadly. She pulls out the shopping money from her shirt pocket. "Here you go Carl. Have fun at the party. Behave" She says. "Thanks Fi" He says and runs out with the money. We hand Liam off and I grab us each a poptart, one for me and Ian to share before running out the door. Lip can eat his whole pack of pop tarts but Ian and I always share. 

We meet up with Mandy and I half my poptart with her. Mandy is telling us about one of her friend problems when they split one way and then Lip split the other way, towards Karens house. I had assumed they were broken up after what happened. "Hey I thought I was going to the university of Chicago with you today?" I question. "Sorry, Karen asked to go" He says and then turns and runs off. "Its my lighter all over again. Emma you mean more to me than she does" I mock him to myself. I go to school all by myself. 

After school I head to Kash and Grab to hang out with Ian. When I get there the store is locked but I know Ian said he had to work today. I figure him and Kash are in the back so I wait. I finally hear the door open and I see Mickey Milkovich walk out with Ian right behind him. Ian leans up against the door frame and stares at him as he walks off. "Mickey huh?" I ask and Ian jumps out of his skin. "Come inside its cold out here" He says helping me up.

When I get home I see Karen naked on the couch riding, who i can only assume to be Lip. "God Lip! Get a room!" I say. "IO have one, but you live in it too!" He calls back. I go up to our room and I can sadly still hear them downstairs. The noises stop and I hear Karen talking and I think I hear her ask about their label. I go down the stairs some and sit where I cant be seen. "What weve always been. Friends" Lip tells her and a small smile lands on my lips. Fiona comes home before things can get heated back up. "You have a room Lip" she tells him. "Emma's up there. And you had sex on the stairs last night" He says. "It was in the hallway. I got up to pee and saw" I say coming the rest of the way down and shudder. "I was wondering how you peed so quick" Lip laughs. "Kev and V are bringing over their foster daughter to play with Debbie" Fiona tells us and then they walk in. Kev has beer so I grab them and go put them in the fridge. "Hi I'm Karen. nice to meet you" Karen says to the little girl and she curtsies. "Cute" I say and Debbie and Frank come running in. "I am so wired" Debbie says. "Whats going on?" Fi asks. "We got high on sugar because Daddy quit drinking so he can get three thousand dollars. "Who's Daddy?" Fiona questioned. "Our daddy" She says and Frank is still shoveling in the candy. "Shit. hes done this once before" Lip tells us. 

Keeping Frank busy is actually fun. Hes fun when hes sober. It's almost like were all a real family. Frank sees the piano and starts playing and we all sing along and laugh. "Who knew Frank played piano" Fiona laughs. "I cant believe you guys are buying into this bullshit. Lets go Karen, I'll walk you home" Lip says and leaves. 

the next day Frank gets up early and makes pancakes and bacon and sausage and orange juice and its a really yummy breakfast. "Come on kids. Get your jackets on we gotta be over at Kevs in five" I tell Carl and Debbie. "Where are yall going?" Frank asks. "Bowling. Lip knows a kid thatll get us in for free" Debbie smiles and we all put on our coats. "Wanna come?" Debbie asks him. "Oh Debbie I dont think-" Lip starts but Frank insists on coming. I sigh and rub Lips shoulder. "Its gonna be okay" I say. When we get to Kevs house Lip goes upstairs to get him but then quickly comes back with Kev on his heels. " I swear thats not what you thought it was Lip" Kev says. "what happened?" I ask. "I told Ethel to go change out of her dress and I meant put some play clothes on but I go up there and shes laying on my bed in her night gown saying shes ready for me. SHe used to be in a cult where she was one of five wives married to a sixty five year old man" Kev explains. "How old is she?" Lip asks. "Thirteen" Kev shakes his head. 

When Frank and Kev are teaching Ethel to bowl Lip is talking to the little kids. "I dont want you guys to get to used to this whole dad being around thing" He says and goes on this rant about their turtle last summer and how they forgot about it and it died. Carl didnt get the point he was trying to make but Debbie did. "I get it Lip. Dads gonna forget about us when he starts drinking again. But im gonna enjoy sober dad while hes here, if that okay" She says. "Of course Debbie. I think its your turn sweetheart" I tell her and she gets up and runs off. "Its sweet of you to try to protect them. I wish I woulda had a you when I was their age" I tell him. 

Later that night I'm working at the diner trying to get Fi some extra money so I picked up another shift. While I'm at work Maddie comes running in with Troy and Nina. "Hey kiddo!" I say and hug her tightly. "We're glad your here. She really wanted to come see you and we tried to call but your cell is off" Nina says. "Yeah things are tight at the house right now so were scraping pennies" I tell them. They sit at the bar and spend time with me for a couple hours. Before they leave they all hug me. "Thank you for giving us our little girl" Troy says and I smile big. "Thank you for giving my baby sister the family she deserves" I smile and watch them walk out. 

The next day I come downstairs and see Lip pouring Vodka into Franks mouth. "Its better this way" Debbie informs me. I nod and go to the kitchen for some toast. We're all hanging out in the livingroom watching tv when Steve comes home. Carl is sawing Franks ankle bracelet off and Lip comes in with a container of two little turtles. I smile as he sits down next to me.