chapter thirty eight

"Do you regret not going?" Now twelve year old Maddie asks me as I make breakfast for us while Mom and Dad are away on a business trip for dad. "Are you gonna ask me that everyday?" I ask her. "I might. I think it was stupid of you not to go. He asked you at the first snowfall. It was like a movie" She tells me. "You werent there. And it was unrealistic. He wanted me to move to Boston with him and hes staying in a dorm. You cant live in a dorm if you dont go to college" I say pushing her lightly. The doorbell rings and Maddie runs to get it. "Debbie!" She says excitedly and I run in. I find Debbie standing at the door with Liam and shes dressed... a little interestingly. "Hey Debs. Am I watching Liam today?" I ask. "Will you please?" She asks and Inod. Liam isnt a little baby anymore and its crazy. "Thanks Emma" She says and runs off. "Can I go with Debbie?" Maddie asks me. "Hell no" I tell her laughing. I knew what Debbie was doing and Iwas not letting Maddie get mixed up in it.

"So you know Carl?" Maddie asks me as were eating breakfast. "You mean Carl Gallagher? The kids I lived with for two years. Yeah I recall Carl" I laugh but she stays silent. "What about carl?" I ask and she shrugs. "Oh Maddie no. I love Carl to death but he isnt the best kid. He likes to blow stuff up and cut cats open. While their alive" I tell her and my phone starts ringing. "Watch Liam" I tell her and go up to my room. "Hey handsome" I smile when I answer. "Hey" Lip says and I can almost hear his smile. "Whatcha up to?" He asks. "I was listening to Maddie. She has a crush on Carl" I tell him. "Oh ew. Gross. Does she know that Carl cuts cats open while their alive?" He asks. "She does. The heart wants what the heart wants" I tell him. "Come spend a couple nights with me" He says. " I wish I could but I have class and I'm watching Maddie while mom and dad are away and I have to work" I tell him and he groans. "I miss you" He says. "I miss you too. I should get back downstairs. I have Liam" I smile. "Why do you have Liam?" He asks. "Debbies tryna get laid" I say and he gags. "Digusting! Bye I love you" He says and I hang up laughing. We werent like officially back together but we both wanted to be but we didnt want to make anything official while hes away at college. I'm attending a community college near by for nursing and I only had two classes two days a week.

the next day I decide to get my assignments and head to MIT. I pack a bag and say goodbye to my parents before heading towards the L. I timed my arrival so that I would get there when he's in class. Luckily his room mate was there to let me in. "You must be the girl that Phillip talks about all the time" A girl says. "Yeah I'm Emma. Nice to meet you" I say and stick my hand out but she just looks away from me. She has a different accent than me so I assume her and her boyfriend, who is Lip's roommate, look down on Lip too since were from a bad part of Chicago. "Okay" I say and put my bag down on Lip's bed. "We can stay in my dorm tonight so you and Phillip can have some privacy" she tells me and I nod. "Thanks. It's been awhile since we've seen each other" I smile and sit down. "So how long until Phillip usually gets back from english class?" I ask. "He should be done now" She says and I walk over to the window. I see Lip sitting on a park bench with a paper in his hand. I smile and go down to the coffee shop and buy us both some coffee before heading to where I see him sitting. "Hey stranger. Your kinda handsome" I say walking up with both coffees in my hand. "I have a girlfr-" he starts before looking up at me. "Emma!" He says excitedly. "Oh sorry, I didnt know you had a girlfriend" I laugh and wrap my arms around his neck. "How long are you here?" He asks. "two nights. Not long but just a couple days is better than waiting a couple months to see you" I smile and he kisses me gently. "You came at the perfect time" He says and looks back at his paper. "Is that a D? My Lip doesnt get D's" I tell him grabbing the paper. "The TA said it was boring" HE says and tosses it in the trash. "I'm sorry Lip. Your roommates girlfriend told me that they will be sleeping at her dorm tonight so that we can have the place to ourselves" I smile and he kisses me again. "God I missed you"