chapter thirty one

"Someone reported you guys so I'm gonna have to take all the kids with me" Brittany tells us. "Go pack a bag" She tells us. "You cant take Emma. Shes not a gallagher" Lip argues with her. "Does she live here?" Brittany asks. "Nope" Fiona says and everyone goes to pack a bag. "Whats gonna happen to them?" I ask. "Heres whats gonna happen Em. Your gonna call all the parents and tell them they have to come get there kids, we will give them a refund for the day and we are so sorry but an emergency came up. Then once all of them are gone I'm gonna have to go to the store and tell them that I cant work today, and then we are gonna go find out where they all went. I'm just thankful that they couldnt take you away. So as far as anyone is concerned you havent been living here the past two years" Fiona whispers with her hands on my shoulders. We walk everybody out. "It wont too long guys. Last time it was what? a week?" Fiona says as they load up. "Nine days" Debbie corrects her. I hug them all before they get in the van. "I've twenty bucks that we will be out in five. Take care of Fiona. I love you" Lip says and presses his lips to my forehead. "I love you too" I say and he gets in the van.

"I lost my job" Fiona says coming out of the store. "awe shit. Well I didnt and the diner told me to take as long as I need" I tell her and we head to the DFS. "Heres what I can tell you even though I'm not supposed too" Brittany tells us after Fiona argues with her for awhile. "I placed two together in a foster home, the girl in another, and the two oldest are in a home" She whispers. "The one on Hester?" I ask. "No. A level fourteen on Richmond" She says. "Thanks" We say standing up. "If I can find a fmaily thats willing to take all five of the kids, can they be placed together?" Fiona asks. "In theory" Brittany says. "Lets go see V and Kev" Fiona tells me. Thankfully they had been foster parents before. "At least we know that Ian and Lip are together, and Carl has Liam. When necessary Carl will look after his little brother" I say and she nods. "Poor Debs is all alone though. Shes never been alone in foster care, shes usually paired with Carl" She sighs.

"V!" Fiona yells when we get to their house. "Upstairs!" I hear V say so we head that way. "DFS took the kids this morning" Fiona tells her. "Oh shit" V says and then looks at me. "They didnt take you?" She asks. "I'm not legally a gallagher. As far as they know I live with Maddie and her parents. I called and told them that if anyone asks I do and theyve got me covered" I say. "I was wondering if you and Kev could talk to your caseworker and see if you could get them all here?" Fiona asks. "Five Gallaghers in my house?" V questions. "Only for a couple days. Maybe a week" Fiona promises. "Lip and Ian are in a level fourteen group home" I tell her. "Level fourteen?" "For kids that light their parents face on fire or stab them while their taking a nap on the couch" Fiona tells her. "Your over twenty one now couldnt they just release them to you?" "I'd have to file for guardianship" Fiona sighs. "Five gallaghers. Im gonna be the fucking black dot on the map of Ireland" V sighs.

When we get home we start cleaning up the couch. I watch as Fiona picks up one of Liams shirts and starts crying. "We're gonna get them back okay" I tell her and she nods. The front door opens and Veronica comes in. "Did you talk to your case worker?" Fiona asks. "Unfortunately. Cant take the kids in because of Ethel running away" Veronica tells us. "What now?" I ask Fi. "We kick it in high gear. Figure out where the kids are staying, get the house ready for inspection, there gonna require a fit parents to get the kids back so I gotta find Monica so I dont have to deal with Frank" Fiona explains to us. Veronica hugs both of us. Fiona and I go through the whole house cleaning. We get rid of all the pot and everything else that could get us in trouble. Once were almost done we plop down on the couch. When Jimmy comes in I stand up. "I'm gonna go shower and then lay in mine and Lips bed and cry"I tell Fiona and start usptairs. "Hey. What Lip said today, about you not being a Gallagher, It was only to keep you here. We love you" She smiles at me. "I love yall too Fi" I say and then go upstairs.

The next day I assume they are letting Ian go to work and probably letting Lip do his community service. I get up and get dressed in jean shorts and one of Lips tshirts. I'm about to leave when Fiona and Jimmy pull up with Frank. "Were going to visit the boys in the group home. Come on" Fiona tells me and I jump in the back with Frank. When we pull up the boys are walking down the steps with backpacks, looks like theyre leaving. I jump out of the car and run to Lip and he catches me. "Emma! I've never been so happy to see you" He says holding me tight. "I've gotta go to work and Lips gotta finish community service" Ian explains to Fiona. "Need a lift?" Jimmy asks. "No we gotta get our bus passes signed by the driver" Lip says lighting a cigarette. "Do you guys need anything?" Fiona asks. "No we're good" Lip tells us and hugs his sister. "I'm gonna go hangout" I tell her and she nods and I walk hand in hand with Lip. "The bed was so lonely last night" I tell him. "Has Fiona started getting the house ready yet?" Ian asked me. "We cleaned all day yesterday. We had to get rid of the pot and everything" I tell them. "Theres still some in the ice cream truck" Lip winks at me. I sit with him all day while he does his community service.

"Your never gonna believe this Emma" Fiona says when she comes through the door a couple days later. I'm sitting at the bar eating a bowl of cereal for dinner. "What happened?" I ask. "I went to the DFS office today and Brittany left her computer so I could listen to the call of who turned us in" She tells me. "What it that bitch that we turned away from daycare because her kid was stinky?" I ask her and she shakes her head. "It was Frank"