Chapter eleven

Lip and I lay in his bunk together and listen to Roberta and Monica talk about us. "I'm not raising seven kids" Roberta says from the bathroom. "one of them isnt even mine. I dont think shes Franks either. I think she like belongs to Lip" Monica says. "Well Lip and his baby momma can leave" Roberta says. We hear the light turn off and they go to bed. "I didnt know I was your baby momma" I say and Lip smiles slightly and hands me a cigarette. Ian is already sitting up with a cigarette hanging between his lips.

The next morning Roberta is sitting at the kitchen table and I walk in behind Lip. Monica is rushing around and Carl hands her a permission slip. "Oh your going to the aquarium. When?" Monica asks as she signs with a blue marker. "Today. I need ten dollars" He tells her and Roberta butts in. "For what?" She asks getting angry. "Admissions fee" Carl tells her. "And he'll need money for food" Lip mentions. "Give him some instant oatmeal and a poptart. Makes a great lunch" Roberta says. I pull twenty five dollars out of my back pocket and slide it over to Carl. "Thats for admission and food okay?" I whisper and he nods. Debbie runs in looking for a poster board and markers because she wants to run for re election. We were gonna do it yesterday but things got crazy so it didnt happen. "I need forty bucks" Lip says passing me the last cup of coffee that we were because Roberta drank most of it. "No!" She yells. "For what?" Monica asks and Lip explains that he needs a new calculus textbook and he can get a used one for twenty. "Do you have a five bob?" Monica asks the man woman. "Yeah in my wallet, where its gonna stay!" Roberta yells. She sends us off to school with peanut butter sandwiches and half an oreo. "We wont be here when you get home" Monica says. "Why? Fiona always tell us why" Debbie says. "its none of your damn business. Go!" Roberta yells at us. "Emma take them, I'll catch up" Lip says. I nod and Debbie grabs my hand and glares at her mother.

Before we could get very far Lip is right behind us with Monica running behind him calling his name. We stop and wait for him but Monica got to him before he could get to us. She makes a fool of herself trying to get Lip to forgive her. For a minute I thought he was actually giving in but then he said "Next time your thinking about dropping in. Dont. You've fucked up our lives enough". Then he leaves Monica with tears in her face and walks over and wraps an arm around my shoulder.

During school Lip and I walk over to Mandy and Ian who are sitting on a table smoking. Lip takes the cigarette and takes a drag before passing it to me. "Whats your third period?" Lip asks Ian. "Health. Why?" "Because we need to miss some school" Lip tells him. Ian jumps up and we walk away. I turn around and wave at Mandy as we walk away. We get in the car that Lip borrowed from Steve. I was sitting in the back seat and Ian looked really upset. "Whats on your mind Ian?" I ask him. "A lot of stuff" He sighs. "Yeah Monica coming back is a lot" Lip says. "That too" Ian says and then explains to us that Mickey Milkovich is gay and they were doing it, but then Kash found out and shot Mickey. "So I'm doing Kash and Mickey. Or not so much Kash right now because when we were hot and heavy Linda found out about it and is black mailing Kash into having another kid" Ian explains. "Holy Shit" Lip says and Ian nods. "Look here they go" He says and we follow Roberta and Monica. We sit outside the DNA place until they come out. Roberta comes out making a scene. We go inside and the lady asks if she can help us. "Yeah I think.. I think you can" Lip tells her.

When we get home the three of us go up to our room with their DNA test kits. "Says here all we do is swab our cheeks and send it in" Lip says reading the instructions. I get out the swab to swab their cheeks. "Yeah and give them a hundred and fifty bucks each" Ian says and then lets me swab his cheek. "It's worth it if we end up not being Franks" Lip smiles and then I swab his cheek. Once were done Ian runs off to visit Mickey in jail.

A little while later Carl comes to me and Lip. " I think I broke my arm" He says. So after a trip to the hospital Fiona, Lip, Carl, Debbie, and I go to the bar. "Just so you know Carls okay. They set his arm back" Fiona says. Lip says aomething smart assy and Fi gets onto him. "lets just do what we came here to do" Fiona tells us. "I dont have any money yet. Monica still hasnt signed my settlement papers. I dont know where shes been all day" Frank tells us. "Shes been getting Liams DNA test results" I say. "Congratulations. Your still the father" Lip says and Frank looks shocked. With Liam being mixed we all just kind of assumed that he wasnt Franks. "Please dont sign any parental rights over so she takes Liam" Fiona begs. Frank starts telling us about his plan to just let Monica think shes gonna take Liam so she will sign his stupid settlement. " I gotta walk away!" Lip yells. "What?" Fiona questions. "If I dont walk away then im gonna hit him" Lip tells her and I push him away. "What the hell" He laughs and turn around and punches Frank in the jaw. Frank hit the ground and Lip screams in pain. "Fuck!" Lip screams and I try to calm him down.

A little while later were all sitting at Steve and Fionas new house and Lip comes in. "What did Monica want?" She asks. "Wanted all of us to come over for dinner. Family meeting" Lip explains and then looks at me. "Roberta then went on to say that my baby momma could stay here and she wasnt invited to dinner. So I told her that Emma is more apart of this family than Monica is and if shes not there then none of us will be there" Lip says and he smiles at me. Lip and Ian explain that they got their DNA tests done and were going to pick up the results in about an hour. "If we arent Franks youll have an easier time getting custody of us" Lip says.

When the rest go to dinner Lip and I go get the DNA test results and then we head to dinner. We sit down and Monica makes us a plate. "Your mother said six thirty you lose your watch?" Roberta asks us. "I dont have a watch Bob" Lip tell her. "Ian and I decided to get our DNA tested too. On the off chance that we arent Frank's kids" Lip explains as he opens the test results and I look over his shoulder and we both gasp. "Holy shit. Congratulations Ian. You are not Frank Gallaghers son" Lip says and then a fight breaks out. "Not only is he not Franks son, hes a close relatives. Probably one of Franks brothers" I read and Frank gets mad at Monica for doing PCP without him and fucking one of his brothers. Bob jumps in and starts scremaing about how theyre gonna taker Liam and then Frank kisses Monica. "Nobody is taking Liam!" Lip yells and sits back in his chair. He puts his hand on my thigh, and I set my hand on top of his. They start yelling about divorce and it gets ugly. "If you love us in any way you'll leave liam, take your girlfriend, get in your truck, and never come back" Fiona yells and then we all get up and leave, leaving Frank with Monica and Bob.

We all go back to Fiona and Steves house and Lip watches through the window into the house to see whats going on. "What are they doing now?" Fi asks. "Looks like packing" He tells us. "What about Liam?" Debbie asks getting upset. I wrap my arms around her. "We can call the police and tell them Liam is being kidnapped" She suggests. "Hey, were gonna figure this shit out" Fiona assures her. "Their coming out" Lip says and we all go outside. Bob goes to the truck and MOnica walks towards us with Liam in her hands. We stand and wait to see what shes gonna do. She starts crying and kisses Liams head before handing him over to Fiona. She walks back to ger truck crying, and as they pass she looks out the window and is bawling. I look back at Lip and he smiles and wraps an arm around me.