Awake

(EDITED/UPDATED ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED JULY 14TH 2018 WHEN I WAS 16 YEARS OLD SO I'M EDITING THE MORE CRINGEY PARTS)

I don't own Naruto or you
This is inspired by isekai in general, and other Naruto fics about 'falling' into Naruto's world, any similarities are purely coincidental between any other Fic of the same context. The Naruto characters of course will be speaking English because I do not speak any other language (competently)

There is swearing, 'you' are mentally 16 in this of course you're gonna swear a little. You have been warned
Talking "..."
Thoughts '...'
__________________________
Alarmed and astonished at her surroundings, Y/n was frozen in disbelief as she stared at a very realistic cosplay of the Third Hokage? As far as she could evaluate she was in a hospital, and it was likely because she had nearly drowned, but that explained little else. ... 'For fuck's sake, Y/n think!!! Why am I here? What is going on.' The girl sat up straight, feeling strange in her shortened limbs and adolescent state; the least she could do was muster a brave facade as she stared down the 'Hokage'. With a quick word Y/n was unable to discern, the nurse conferred with the man before nodding and leaving the room.

'This is a prank, it had to be. I almost drowned, and this is like the superhero thing they do for children in hospitals. Some kind Samaritan who knew about my love of Naruto decided to humor me by dressing up as Lord Third. That's the only logical explanation.... ' Drifting in her thoughts she knew that couldn't be it regardless, it all felt too real, there was still no way to explain how she was a child again. ' Am I dead?'

Once Y/n had steadied herself and turned her attention to the 'Hokage' again, she found him staring expectantly. She blinked, 'great', " Can you understand me?" 'Lord Third' inquired, gazing curiously at the girl. His voice was eerie- so very close to the actual voice acting for the character, a lump caught in her throat as Y/n barely managed to form a few words " Um, sorry, yes. I'm just... confused." She paused, "Whe-where am I?" Inwardly she cursed her voice for cracking at the last sentence. His eyebrows raised, taking a brief second to sit in a chair opposite to her bed. Close enough to the door, but not far enough that Y/n might assume he assessed her as a potential threat.

"A hospital."

" No I get that, but where specifically? I don't understand." Y/n sighed as he scanned her face for any sign of deception. " I'm afraid I can't answer that young lady, you are a total stranger after all. So, I will be asking the questions." He explained. His stiff and commanding posture nearly demanded she back down; a scoff left her throat before she could stop it. Swallowing carefully, she steeled her jaw, attempting to dismiss the disdain that permeated her every cell. Fear set into her as though he did not move, his eyes bore into her with inhuman precision, ' This guy seems serious, I should be careful...', "Fine".

"Excellent, what is your name." His tone shifted, serious, devoid of any social niceties one would expect towards a child.

"Y/n... Y/n" 'pick a Japanese last name, pick a Japanese last name,' " Ootori" 'nailed it, thank you Ouran Highschool Host Club'. If he noticed her hesitation he made no sign of it.

"Y/n... Ootori...?" Y/n nodded. Lord Third sighed, " You're not from around here are, Y/n Ootori? Where are your parents, do you have any?"
"No... I- no I'm not, and I do not."

He seemed terribly intent now, 'Maybe lying about my name was a bad idea. I don't even know what is going on.'
"Why are you here?"

"I don't know, I really don't know. I don't remember anything before feeling like I was falling and the next I'm in water and I just can't move or do anything."

'Lord Third' was so completely still as she recalled the situation and the fear brewing in her gut inched its way under her skin as she continued.

"I blacked out and now I'm here."
"Are you claiming amnesia?"
"I don't know anything about what's going on, I don't remember what happened before I was in that water, I don't know. Who even are you?"

Seeming to be satisfied with her answer for now his tone eased into casual conversation."How old are you? Are you a genin or training to be?"

'Way to ignore my question...' " I'm- twelve??? I think- everything is very confusing and I don't think so- I don't fully understand what that means." Y/n furrowed her brow, trying to keep her story straight, ' Why is he asking me this?'
" Well Y/n Ootori, if what you say is true, we will find out if it's not; we'll agree to house you. That is if you earn your keep by becoming a ninja." He stood up brushing his hands on his lap.
" A ninja? You're kidding- that's not- they're not really real-"

'He's really doubling down isn't he?'

Lord Third raised an eyebrow, "You really are a strange girl. Someone will help you get settled in here once you recover" Turning to leave, he paused before exiting. "Welcome to Konohagakure, I am Lord Third Hokage, and I hope that you will make a fine ninja. Rest well." With that he left the girl alone with her thoughts.
__________________________
Y/n stared slightly shell shocked at the empty door. 'Holy fuck, If this is a dream I never want to wake up.' A nervous giggle bubbled up and was immediately lost as she processed the information given to her. ' If it isn't a dream...' She ran her tongue across her back molars, trying to settle what this would mean if it was real.' Whatever, I hated home anyways, right?And I doubt I'll be really missed. I don't even know how I'd get back if this is really real. I guess I can have a fresh start. I wonder where the plot is right now. Hopefully Naruto is still at the academy. And hell I hope I can do this.' The h/c girl leaned back into bed, tracing her eyes over the lines on the ceiling. 'I hate hospitals, this is gonna suck'.
__________________________
Two days passed with test after test, from blood to psychological exams. They found her physically fine to her knowledge, but her answers to her memory didn't waiver. And it supported that she was telling the truth, that she was experiencing some sort of "retrograde amnesia" as the doctors called it. It wasn't just doctors and nurses as Y/n observed, many 'ninja' came to question her.

' Guess I can't blame them for being so thorough, at least they haven't tortured me? But being stuck here for barely 2 days has felt like it.'

Nurses took last assessments of her vitals and reflexes as she sat on the edge of her hospital bed. Inhaling and exhaling when instructed- attempting to hide her disgust of the sterile smell that wafted through the entire building. Hours later, having been given some plain hospital clothes and shoes Y/n sat in a chair in the hallway across from one of the doctors counters. She sighed in relief as the final paperwork was completed and she was free to leave. 'Thank whatever higher power there is out there, that I'm out.' "Ms. Ootori, are you ready to go?" Kakashi Hatake stood waiting for her. ' I mean genuinely, The Copy Ninja', she still could hardly believe it, seeing him honestly sealed the conclusion this was actually happening, especially since it was him that saved her. Y/n felt as if she could have swooned if not for the shock. 

On shaky legs she stood up and forced a polite smile, "Yup. Um, thank you for all you've done for me." The two started walking, Kakashi having to slow his pace to stay with her. "Following what's expected of me, that's all. Though, I would like to know how you fell into that lake in the first place." Y/N nodded" You and I both." Y/n cautiously followed Kakashi out of the hospital and into the outside world.

The light hurt her eyes and her legs were still slightly shaking, not used to walking after bed rest for a few days, but she managed to move forward. Kakashi directed her to what seemed to be the same apartment building as Naruto's. He stopped in front of a door, and Kakashi handed her an envelope presumably containing money, the backpack that she had been found with, and a key to her apartment. " Be responsible and spend it wisely, don't lose your key, and remember we will be watching you" , he gave his signature close eye smile, and with that the copy ninja disappeared into the wind. Y/n turned to the door and took a breath, she unlocked it and opened the door stepping inside. 'Okay, I can work with this.'