The Chase for Gaara

Disclaimer- I do not own Naruto or you
Well it's been a hot minute thank you guys for understanding. I've been depressed as fuck lately and my friends kinda just pulled me out of it. Literally ten minutes ago. So yeah, we good now.
__________________________
Kakashi and Gai looked back at the young girl who Kabuto had demanded and to themselves.
"I don't think so, Y/n stay back. Gai, let's cut the numbers down to size."

Y/n watched as Gai and Kakashi clashed with Kabuto's men.
Kabuto stood back as well to watch, and Y/n let Sakura grab her forearm in a small comfort as the two teachers fought the enemy.

Kakashi landed in front of the two girls and addressed them once more.
"Sakura, Y/n, release the Genjutsu and wake Naruto and Shikamaru. Naruto will be delighted, he'll be getting a mission after such a long time."

"What kind of mission?" Sakura asked, slowly loosening her grip on Y/n.
"You'll have to be careful on this one. It's the first A rank assignment since the land of the waves."

Sakura gasped, "But Sensei- why now? Dur-"
Y/n shushed her and started towards Naruto and Shikamaru.
"We're following Sasuke, he's following Gaara. There's no time to argue. Let's go."
"But should we wake Ino and Choji and go in a group?"
"No arguing, there's no time."
"Okay, okay."
The girls carefully made their way to their sleeping comrades as they dodged the enemy ninja who were being taken out of the air.

Kakashi sliced his thumb with his kunai as Y/n poked and berated Shikamaru to get up. Apparently he'd decided it was too much of a drag and just kept on the ground. Sakura woke Naruto with little to no difficulty as he took in his surroundings."What? What's going on?"
"Shh we'll fill you in later just stay down."
Sakura turned towards Kakashi-sensei.
"Sensei are you coming with us?"
Kakashi ignored her question and just started on the handsigns.
"Summoning Justu!"
'Yay! Puppo!'
'There's the Y/n I know.'

Where Kakashi places his hands down appeared a small pug who rubbed his eyes.
"Pakku, you will track down Sasuke by scent."

Sakura leaned back in shock, "What? A puppy?"
Pakku trotted over in front of her and the boys, who were fairly all fairly dazed at the entire situation. "Listen little girl, don't go saying I'm just some cute puppy."

"You can talk?!"
"Not now, Sakura! Naruto behind you!"
Before the enemy could appear Naruto was able to dodge out of the way as Gai immediately slammed the ninja into the wall, busting a hole in it.
Kakashi jumped back to directly in front of the group on the floor, back still to them watching for attacks.
'Huh... Where'd Shino go? I'd've sworn he was with us.'
"Now I'll explain the mission, as soon as I do, go through that opening. First, track down Sasuke and stop him, then find a safe location and await further orders."
'Oh yeah he's being a creeper around that corner.'
"Did something happen to Sasuke?" Naruto asked, still not grasping anything that was going on. But he was quickly shushed by Sakura again promising to explain and jumping with him out the opening. Y/n did the same with Shikamaru, earning confused protests from the boy, Pakku trailing behind.

Shikamaru quickly gained his footing next to Y/n as the group caught up to each other. Sakura rambling to Naruto what had happened.
"You're the girl who sees the future huh?"
Y/n stared down at the small pug running beside her.
"Yes..."
"I'm only tracking Sasuke. Tell us if there's any danger or enemies up ahead along the way."
"I'll let you know when I find out, I have to concentrate on looking into the future without loosing track on where I am or what I'm doing."

Before Pakku could asked Sakura finished explaining and Naruto exclaimed,"I get it, so that's what happened. I guess Sasuke got all impatient."
"Oh man, why'd you have to bring me into this, you have more than enough members, I mean it's such a drag."
Pakku pulled ahead and the four genin fell in line together.
"It can't be helped okay? It's Kakashi-sensei's order." Sakura sighed as Pakku took them in the direction of Sasuke.
"This way!"
"How long till we catch up?"
"I don't know, Y/n could probably answer that. But a long time if they keep moving at this pace."
"Ugh, come on. What do you say Y/n?"
"Naruto, there's enemy ninja coming after us."
"What?"
"Pick up the pace there's nine ninja following us."

"Stop!"
The squad landed on the ground and they started going back over their footprints, hoping to buy extra time.
"Watch out for branches, any broken ones will give us away."
Naruto narrowly missed breaking one at that exact moment so Y/n speculated that the statement was for good reason.

They quickly made their way back on track. Y/n knew it bought them 5 minutes at most but it was better than nothing.
"Should we be ready? In case they catch up again? An ambush or something."
"Won't work Sakura, we have a few more minutes that we would have without going back over our footprints. That's really all we can do, for now." Y/n explained getting frustrated that only she knew what was actually going on.

"But, we'll need a diversion as soon as they get back on our trail. Well maybe a few minutes after."
"Y/n, you can't be serious. Any decoy will die, I'm sure you realize that." Shikamaru scoffed.
"No."
"No, what? You don't realize that?"
"If I thought any of you would be going to certain death I wouldn't have said anything."
"..."
They travelled on and when Pakku noticed the enemy following them again they debate amongst themselves who would be the decoy, finally deciding to stop for a second.

Shikamaru sighed,"Well Y/n seems pretty sure the decoy will be able to handle themselves, but things are tricky." He turned to Y/n, "You don't know everything that could happen only what most likely will happen correct?"
"Correct."
"Then you choose."
"Think, who is the best choice. It has to be something any of us decide on our own."

The four ninja looked amongst each other and Naruto shrugged, "Alright, I guess that I'm gonna have to-"
"I'm the only one who can do it." Shikamaru cut him off," I'm the only one who's got a logical chance of pulling off this decoy act. And of surviving this attack, right Y/n?"
Y/n gave a small smile but said nothing, 'healing art- time lapse jutsu', she tapped his arm as the boy jumped to the tree limb behind them.
He shook off the apparent shock to his tired body as his energy levels rose and discreetly eyed Y/n in confusion and wonder.
"Well, after all, shadow possession jutsu was invented as a delay tactic. Anyway, I'll catch up with you guys later. Go on get going."

And with that the five man squad became four.
__________________________
"Is he going to be okay Y/n?"
"What do you think?"
"Well- I just-"
"Sakura stop asking stupid questions you know I can't answer. I said it wouldn't be certain death."
"But things can still go wrong."
"Believe me, you'll know if they do."
Y/n could hardly believe the rate at which they were traveling. She relished in the feeling and thrill of the chase. It always felt like she was flying.

'Shikamaru will be fine. He's okay.'
'You used one of the new techniques. Didn't think you'd try the healing one right off the bat, it take a lot. I'll have to lend you my chakra for now.'
'Yeah, but he needs his strength back, I have you.'
'Don't get cocky little girl.'
'I won't. I'll get the hang of it where I can just speed up healing time without using all of my chakra.'
'You better. You remember that Asuma would have gotten there to help in time anyway.'
'Yeah well he still needed Chakra and I needed practice.'
'I forget how ambitious you are sometimes.'

The squad made their way through the trees as Y/n let her eyes glaze over to scan for any future concerns in their path as Ryoko took control of her body.
'We'll catch up soon.'
She regained consciousness with confidence that they'd be fine until they caught up together. Her teammates looked at her expectantly, sensing her suddenly perking up.

"Temari will set traps for Sasuke, we'll hear explosions. Sasuke will be fine of course, he'll catch up to the three of them. Temari will take him on with her fans. Kankuro and Gaara will continue on. Keep going."
__________________________
"We're almost there. They've stopped moving."
"Yes, we've got to hurry. Gaara's slowly regaining his strength."
'Geez we've be running forever, this is taking so long.'
'Stop whining.'
'I'm not whining, I'm itching for a fight.'
'So am I, Y/n, we're almost there.'