Third Birthday

"Ooooh, so today's princess has woken up?!"

The moment me, Mom, Dad, and Alt-nii arrived in the dining room, Clavis comes up to me and pinches my cheeks.

"Clawvish-nii, stwop pwinching!" I waved my hands in protest.

Clavis chuckles, and then he lets my cheeks go. After that, he pats my head.

"Happy third birthday, Lyra!" Clavis said.

"Happy birthday, Lyra-sama!" and Niina, Chloe, Vince also chimed in.

"Thank you!"

Oh.

Oh, right.

I forgot to mention, that under my brother's assertive request.... or, forced request, to be exact, Clavis has dropped all formalities to us. My brother insisted he'd treat us as your-everyday-friends, and at the beginning, every time Clavis slipped and entered "-sama" suffix to our names, he'd nag on Clavis' tail or smiled, but his eyes didn't smile (i, it, can be quite scary...)

I'm happy though!

"Ara, Lyra? You sure have grown up!"

Hm?

I heard a voice that I haven't heard in a while. Following the source of the voice, I glanced over and saw two elderly couple standing near the door that connects the dining room to the family room. The grandpa has the same golden eyes as my mom's, with a grey hair. Meanwhile the grandma has blue eyes and the same yellowish silver and wavy hair as my mom's. Needless to say, they're my mom's parents!

"The last time we saw you, you were just a tiny little baby! Hahahaha!" Grandpa laughed as he swiftly lifted me high.

Eh?! I didn't pay any attention when I was meeting them a short while after I was born. But, grandpa... He, he... he has ears that are a bit... pointy?! But they don't look like elves or dwarves... it's kinda like normal human ears, but with a pointy end. Genetic mutation?

"Hmm, what's wrong, Lyra?" he noticed my confusion.

"A, uhm... Grandpa, why are your ears a bit pointy?" I asked without hesitation. After all, I must take the advantage of my age! Those with similar ages to me have unsatiable curiosity!

"Ahahaha, you noticed? That's my granddaughter!"

"Fufu, let me explain," grandma chimed in, "the slightly pointed ears are the proof that there's elf blood running through his veins, Lyra."

Ah, then that makes sense.

I nodded to indicate that I understand.

...

And then, suddenly realization hits me.

T, that means, there's an elf blood running inside me, too?!

Upon further interrogation, I learned the history of my mom's family. Apparently, grandpa's mother is of mixed blood—meaning, she is half-elf, half-human. Grandpa is a quarter elf, and so on. That would explain how my mom got her strong magic. ...so that gives me hope that I'll be at least slightly gifted in terms of magic?