Eggie's Fate

Wait a minute, this doesn't make any sense...

We certainly managed to catch the egg at the very last second, so why did it still crack? Did it receive enough impact or was it really this fragile?

When I glanced towards Alt-nii, he only blankly stared at the cracking Eggie, with face full of... blank. Yup, he also couldn't make any sense of this!!

But our confusion didn't last for so long (luckily!)

Very soon, we realized that the egg was actually... twitching! It was moving along with the forming cracks. This phenomenon...

"It's hatching!" I exclaimed.

"Y-yes it is!!" Alt-nii stuttered a bit because he was too excited to see the egg hatching.

We gently let go of our hands in order to let the egg hatch, and we stood up in anticipation, all while our gazes were still fixated on the hatching egg.

What kind of creature is going to hatch from it?

Nothing was known of the egg or the Familiar in it.

...What if it isn't a Familiar, but an ordinary beast?

It would be nice if we could still use it as a [Summoned Beast], but if not... if we were to raise it carefully from when it's still a baby, it will surely obey us, right?

Contrary to a [Familiar] who forms a special bond with its master, a [Summoned Beast] can be called for a short period of time or to do a certain order before the mana-based temporary contract is called off, and there is no special bond like what a [Familiar] has. Just like its name, [Summoned Beast] can be summoned from other areas, with certain techniques.

Meanwhile, ordinary beasts can be tamed and can accompany their masters. Since [Familiar] and [Summoned Beast] are exclusive to people with magic talents, taming ordinary beasts is the only option for people with poor or no magic talents to have a beast company.

Anyway...

When I thought the egg was going to crack and hatch faster, the reality betrayed my expectation. The one inside the egg was struggling at its original speed and strength. Thus, it felt really long for us, who were watching the unboxing—I mean, the birth of a beast!

And suddenly... THE EGG STOPPED MOVING!

"Wha...?" Question marks floated above my head.

"Eeeeh? Eggie, come on! Are you giving up just like that?!" Alt-nii sulked.

At that moment, as if responding to Alt-nii's question, the egg rotated and then...

*POOF!*

Light purple smoke formed around the egg.

Errr... My eyes are itchy!

Yeah... A natural response to this itchy stimulus to my eyes... I reflexively closed my eyes, and I was sure Alt-nii also closed his eyes.

After a moment, we opened our eyes... and saw the empty cracked egg shells all over the floor!

Wait, does it only contain the smoke and it's now empty...?

As a ridiculous thought entered my mind...

"Ru?"

"!!"

We heard a voice... from above the cracked egg shells!

When I looked up, I was greeted by a beast who floated gently in the air, with its back facing me. Thick white fur, two long ears that were similar to a rabbit's... it actually used its ears to float?! Then, around its neck, there was some sort of a dark purple cloth to its left and right—as if it was wearing a scarf! Finally, the most important part—its fluffy white fur, shaped like a leaf's!