Future Prediction

"Can it select the next heir, then?" Alt-nii suddenly asked.

Dad and Mom were surprised—and I was surprised as well.

I mean, isn't it already set in stone that Alt-nii will inherit Dad's title? Or... it isn't?

To be honest, I'm not that interested in the 'heir' title, so... it doesn't matter to me, anyway.

"Well... we can, but...," Dad was hesitant.

"Why don't we just try it out? It's not like we have to fully abide to the jewel's wish, right? There was a history where the previous Hartmann heads ignored the jewel's decision and appointed another anyway," Mom said, affirming my guess that someone in the past didn't obey the jewel's will.

"It's more important to pick who's more willing. Can't do anything if the person picked isn't willing, right? Like how Boris' sister ran away instead of becoming the head of the family," Mom added.

I was a bit relieved because I didn't want to imagine the jewel suddenly choosing me... Not like it would happen, anyway!

"Is it possible for it to react to everyone here?" I asked in curiosity as I remembered the founder of the Hartmann family was... or were, twins.

"It might be possible," Dad answered.

"Wanna try, Lyra?" He offered me the jewel.

"E-eh, me first?" I hastily asked.

"Yeah, I'll let you do it first, Lyra!" Alt-nii agreed.

"U-uu, t-then, sure," I gulped.

"Alright... Maozi jewel, can you give us your insight regarding the next heir to the Hartmann family? The one who will continue the family?" Dad asked as he caressed the jewel again and poured his magical power inside.

The blue light shook again, perhaps indicating that it would do its role.

After it was done, Dad handed the jewel to me.

I nervously accepted the jewel and waited as I held it with my hands.

Nothing happened.

"It didn't react. I'm not the chosen one," I said, and my voice unconsciously revealed my joy.

"...You seem to be relieved, Lyra?" Mom seemed to be intrigued by my response.

"Yes, I'm not that interested in becoming the heir," I said confidently.

"Hmm... Can you try stroking the jewel, Lyra? Just in case," Dad said after he pondered a bit.

"E-eh? Sure...," I said before I stroked the jewel nervously.

Again, nothing happened.

Phew, I'm safe from the heir flag~!

"Alright, why don't you try it, Alt-nii? I'm sure it will react!" I said as I handed it over to Alt-nii.

"Hmm, Lyra, you're not interested in becoming the heir... Could you be more interested in marrying into another family and become the family's lady instead?" Alt-nii asked teasingly.

ALT-NII, DON'T TRIGGER DAD!

Dad's smile was warped a bit before Mom suddenly said:

"Hey, remember that you will have to see Lyra getting married in the end, no matter if she will become the heir or not."

Dad showed a dejected expression.

W-well, I'm not going to object as I dream of having a dreamy love story and a happy marriage in the future!