The Training

"Alright, Lyra, now it's time for the training!"

Right now, there are Dad, Alt-nii, Mom, and me in the second floor's training roo—I mean living room. The one who just broke the silence was Dad, with his usual wide smile. Today is Day 7, so both my parents are free, and thus, my training starts after breakfast.

"If you think it's too hard or that there's something weird, please don't hesitate to say so, Lyra," said Mom.

"Okay~!" ...my excitement is so obvious.

"Alright, let me explain the basic theory, for starters. You know about mana and magic affinity, right? Someone's magic affinity can be identified after they turn 4, while your maximum mana capacity can be identified once you turn 6. So, right now, you're only 3. Your magic affinity and mana capacity are not yet fixed. Even so, they're still developing. The Hartmann are always gifted with magical power, so it's certain that you possess magical power. Do you get it so far?" Mom elaborated.

"Err, Cassie... again, isn't it too complicated for a 3-year-old to understand?" Dad asked, "I thought you'd devise another way after you tried explaining it to Alt."

Uh, I can understand it just fine, but that's probably because I have my past memory intact. But what about Alt-nii back then?

I wondered that as I stole some glances at my brother. Perhaps sensitive towards others' stares or what, Alt-nii looked back at me and then smiled. ...or rather, I can almost always see him with a smile or cheerful look on his face.

"Ah, Lyra, don't think about it too much. Perhaps right now Mom's words just fly through your head, but in the course of time, you'd understand, hehe," he chuckled.

"Oh, so that's how it was? Altaire, you were smiling and just said 'O~kay~' back then so I thought...," Mom put her hand on her chin, deep in thought. Dad sighed, his expression said, 'Oh, it can't be helped, it's you, after all.'

So... Mom has no common sense?! And, she can't read Alt-nii's expression at that time?

But, then again... when I think about it, it's hard to read Altaire-oniichan! Most of the time, he has this poker face expression with his trademark smile on. And I can portray him when he said he got it to Mom, leaving Dad speechless.

Perhaps Mom thinks we can understand the concept just fine because some of the storybooks they have ever read for us contain the things about magic. Plus, when grandma showed me the photos of Mom when she was small, she had this "gifted child" vibe. Gifted people and geniuses usually have problems to understand that other people may need an easier explanation to understand some concepts.

Dad is so lucky to have Mom. Out of my family, Dad looks the most normal! He's an oyabaka type (foolish, doting parent). I wonder if everything is alright with his governmental work... Nobody tried to take advantages of him, right? Or many people did, and so our living condition becomes jeopardized?

...

---wait, why is it very quiet?

"Eh, ah, I got it!" I replied the moment I realized all of them are looking expectantly at me.

"See? She gets it," Mom said in her defense.