Chapter 35 - The complaint

Elise's POV

I was a fool. While they were planning to give Chad a lesson, they punished me without even noticing it. Despite the fact I didn't even understand why a father could do it to his own child.

I rushed into my room, still crying. I closed the door behind me and leaned against the door, sobbing. I slid down against the door and pulled my knees against my chest. I wrapped my arms around my legs and leaned my head against my knees.

I was laying on the bed after calming down a little. My mother was stroking my hair, sitting beside me.

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in." My mother said.

My father walked in and closed the door behind him. I sat up on the bed.

"Give us a minute." He said to my mother. She nodded. Then she gave me a compassionate smile and left.

My father sat beside me without saying anything. He started talking as he entwined his hands. "I am sorry. I didn't know...." He paused. "...You were together."

"It isn't important anymore." I muttered. He gave a compassionate look and hugged me. I hugged him back.

After that day, my father didn't open that topic again. I was thankful to him, because I didn't want to talk about Chad. After Chad had left, I hadn't seen him or heard anything about him. Chad hadn't called me either.

I was sitting on the couch in the living room, pretending that I was listening to my parent's conversation, but my mind was elsewhere. Despite my anger, I couldn't stop myself from thinking of Chad. I still love him. But I felt disappointed, frustrated and betrayed. I believed him, but all this time he lied to me.

Suddenly, the doorbell hummed, interrupting me from my thoughts. The housekeeper went to open the door.

A few seconds later, she came to the living room and informed us. "Ms. Martin, there are the police officers waiting for you. They want to talk to you."

I stood up quickly as I looked at her, perplexed. "Police officers?" I asked with questioning eyes.

"What do they want?" My father asked, confused.

"They didn't say anything else, sir." The housekeeper replied.

We went towards the door. My heart was beating fast, and a tight knot formed in my stomach.

"What happened?" My father asked the police officer.

"Ms. Martin, you need to give a witness statement. Mr. Chris Hawkins filed a complaint against Mr. Chad James Carter for beating him up." The police officer informed me.

I stared at the police officer, dumbfounded. Fuck! That bastard again. How could he fill a complaint against Chad after I have warned him? I clenched my fist as anger built in my body.

"What?" My father asked, puzzled as he travelled his eyes from the police officer to me. "When did it happen?" He asked.

I bit my lower lip nervously as I looked down. The police officer asked me to come with them. I grabbed my bag and left with them. My parents followed us.

When I arrived at the police station, Katy rushed towards me and hugged me.

"Are you okay?" She asked as she pulled back. "That bastard..." She shook her head as she looked towards Chris.

When Chris saw me looking at him, he smirked. I rolled my eyes and gave him a dirty look.

Bastard!

"Where is Chad?" I asked Katy.

"He..."

"Steve? What are you doing here?" Victor interrupted Katy as he approached us while three men were following him, holding briefcases in their hands. They looked like they were lawyers.

"Hi, Victor. The police want Elise to give a statement." My father replied. Victor nodded as he travelled his gaze from my father to me and vice versa.

"Where is Chad?" My father asked Victor. "Do you know what happened?"

"He is here; the police arrested him. As much as I know, Chad and that bastard got into a fight." He looked at me before continuing. "I don't know anything more." He ran his hand through his hair. "This boy will be the death of me." He added, annoyed.

I bit my lower lip nervously. I felt guilty. Because of me, Chad got into trouble.

"It isn't Chad's fault. Chris deserved it." I confessed. All eyes were on me now. I breathed deeply and told them about what had happened.

After hearing what had happened, my father was furious. He was pacing back and forth angrily like a wild animal. His face was red with rage. When he saw Chris, the police officer barely separated them.

I filed a complaint against Chris after giving a statement. Chris's face got red with anger when he learned that I had filled a complaint against him. He was shouting at me, calling me slut and threatening me.

We were waiting at the police station. They hadn't released Chad yet. Claire and Alissa were here too. They came a few hours ago.

I stood up immediately as I saw Chad. When he noticed me, he glued his blue eyes into mine.

I averted my gaze and folded my arms over my chest

I averted my gaze and folded my arms over my chest. But I still felt his gaze on me.

After talking to the lawyers, Chad and his father approached us. His father informed us that the police had released Chad. When I lifted my gaze, Chad was staring at me.

"Thank you for the statement, Elise." Chad said, his eyes plunged into mine.

"You don't need to thank me. It wasn't your fault. You just protected me. Sorry, because of me, you got into trouble." I said honestly.

"It is not your fault. Don't feel guilty." He gave me a slight smile.

"Thank you, Chad. Elise told what that bastard had intended to do." My father said, giving him a grateful look.

"Ok, everyone is tired. Let's go." Victor suggested. My father nodded in agreement.

When we walked out of the police station, the paparazzi approached us.

"Are you dating Elise Martin?"

"Did you get into a fight because of jealousy?"

"Did you cheat on your boyfriend with Chad Carter?"