Chapter 41 - Lost in darkness

Elise's POV

"What?" He asked nonchalantly without taking his eyes off his paperwork.

I was losing my courage by his cold and distant attitude towards me. He was busy with his damn paperwork, ignoring me.

I sighed. "Will you listen to me?" I snapped, annoyed.

He lifted up his head and plunged his piercing eyes into mine with a reckless expression on his face, placing his hand on the desk.

I bit my lower lip nervously while squeezing the strap of my bag tightly under his piercing and intimidating gaze.

He frowned, annoyed. "I am busy. I don't have time for your accusation or lectures." He gave me cold glare as he ran his hand through his silky hair. "You made me memorize what an awful person I am. Thanks, but I heard enough." He stated bitterly. "Now if you don't mind, I have important things to do. Tell what you want and leave." He said firmly, giving me a determined look.

Tears shimmered in my eyes. I shook my head in disappointment. He was not the same person who I loved. Maybe, I was wrong about him, and he was a bad person. He wasn't the same Chad. My Chad who was thoughtful, caring and affectionate. The man in front of me was someone else, not the same Chad, he was a ruthless, mean, and heartless billionaire nothing more.

"It isn't important anymore. Sorry for disturbing you." I said bitterly. "I am leaving now." She added.

Don't worry you will not see my face next minute.

"Bye." He said coldly and looked back at his paperwork.

I stormed out of his office, slamming the door behind me. I looked down, ignoring his secretary while rushing towards the elevator as tears ran down my cheeks. Chad's attitude towards me made me feel like I was a cheap, needy, pitiful woman. I had never felt like this before. He acted towards me like I was some clingy woman who he had spent a night and now that woman glued to him like a leech.

Fortunately, the elevator arrived quickly. I walked in and pressed on a button. I leaned against the wall, crying, my hand rested on my stomach.

****

It had been a week since my so-called conversation with Chad. I promised myself that I would not see him again. I was angry at him, as well as myself; I shouldn't go to see him. I was a fool.

I was in my office in our company. I started working at our company two days ago. It helped me to distract myself from thinking about Chad all day long.

Suddenly, my phone rang. When I looked at the screen, I was surprised. It was Chad's mother. I cleared my throat and picked it up.

"Hi, Claire." I greeted her.

"Hi, sweetie. How are you?" She asked softly.

"Fine. Thanks. And you?" I asked.

"Fine, sweetie. I called you to invite you for lunch." She said.

I bit my lower lip without saying anything. Going to their house meant to see Chad too. But now, I wasn't ready to see him nor I didn't want to see him.

"Please don't refuse, Elise. I missed you. Alissa wants to see you too." She insisted.

"I..."

"If the reason is Chad, don't worry, he will not be home." She added.

I breathed deeply and accepted. "Ok."

"Perfect. See you, sweetie." She exclaimed happily.

"See you."

I ruffled my hair, breathing deeply. At least, Chad would not be home. I grabbed my bag and left my office.

I stopped my car in front of a luxurious mansion. I squeezed the steering wheel nervously, staring at the mansion. I breathed deeply and got out of the car as I grabbed my bag.

After greeting Claire and Alissa, we went to the garden for lunch. I felt relieved as I knew Chad wasn't home.

Chad's POV

I didn't go to the company today. I decided to spare time for myself. I was walking on the beach with my dog, King.

The last time when I was here, I was with Elise

The last time when I was here, I was with Elise. As I was walking along the shore, our memories here were flashing on my mind. Her beautiful smile, her mesmerizing green eyes, our kisses, her warmth against my skin. As much as I tried to forget her, I didn't succeed in forgetting her. Her name engraved in my heart forever. I felt devastated, lonely, unhappy and empty without her. Lost in darkness.

I parked my car in front of the mansion and got out of the car. I opened the door, and King jumped out of the car. I grabbed his leash and headed us towards the garden. Suddenly, he ran, making me drop the leash.

"Stop, King!" I shouted behind him as I ran after him.

I stopped as I saw King beside a girl while the girl was stroking his head.

"Oh, Chad, you are here." My mother said, giving me a nervous look.

When the girl turned around, I was surprised.

"Elise." I mumbled, astonished. Her expression changed as soon as she saw me.

"I am leaving." Elise said as she stood up instantly.

"Elise." My mother pleaded.

"Stay. I am going to my room. I will not disturb you. Don't worry." I said dryly. "Come on, King." I called my dog. He ran towards me. I bent down and stroked his head, smiling. "Good boy." I gave Elise one more glare and left, pulling on the leash, walking towards the dog house.

Then I went to my room. I stripped off my clothes and went to the bathroom. I turned on the water and stood under the warm water, closing my eyes shut. Every time seeing her hatred gaze made my heart ache. It was unbearable.

Damn it! I slammed my fist against the wall.