Chapter 47 - Pride

Chad's POV

I stepped back, unsure of my reaction and ran my hand through my hair.

"You don't know?!" I barked.

"Chad..." She pleaded.

"Is the baby mine?" I asked, despite the fact that I knew the answer very well.

Her eyes widened as her cheeks turned crimson red with anger.

"Then what the hell didn't you tell me that you are carrying my child?" I barked at her.

"Chad, stop yelling at me!" She snarled.

"Yeah, why am I angry?! Just the mother of my baby tried to keep my baby away from me. Nothing more." I said sarcastically, plunging my piercing eyes into her eyes.

"Chad, please....It was not easy for me to know that I am pregnant after....our breakup."

"After you have dumped me." I corrected her. She rolled her eyes.

"Yes, I am pregnant with your baby." She sighed as she folded her arms over her chest. "But I don't want to force you to anything. You can marry Daniella as you planned." She said, avoiding her gaze.

I clenched my fist, staring at her without managing to say anything.

"And if you want, you can be part of our baby's life." She added.

Just part of our baby's life. Not hers. Don't fool yourself, Chad. Understand it; she doesn't want you in her life.

"Thank you for planning my future instead of me." I barked at her and left, slamming the door behind me.

I stormed out of the building. As soon as a valet brought my car, I got in my car and took off my tie. I tossed it onto the passenger seat.

"Damn it!" I hissed and hit the steering wheel

I turned on the engine and speeded away.

Elise's POV

I collapsed onto the couch as tears ran down my cheek.

"Elise, are you okay?" Claire asked as she walked in.

I wiped my tears off my cheeks as I stood up. "Yes." I mumbled.

She sighed and placed her hand on my cheek, wiping my stubborn tears with her thumb that still were running down my cheeks. "Everything will be good, dear." She said as she hugged me. I hugged her back, bursting out crying.

"Shh. Calm down, dear." She said, stroking my back. "Chad is just angry. He will calm down. Don't worry." She said, trying to calm me down.

I was sitting in the car in awkward silence. My parents hadn't said anything since they found out about my pregnancy, but I could sense the tension in the car. It was the calm before the storm.

As soon as we walked into the living room, my father said firmly. "I will talk to Victor and we will set a wedding date. Chad and you will get married before your stomach starts showing. He will clean up his mess. I will make him take responsibility for his actions."

"No. I will not get married to him." I protested.

My father raised his eyebrow at me in a questioning expression. "What the hell are you talking about? I will not let my daughter give birth out of wedlock." My father hissed.

"Dad, Chad is engaged to someone else. And they are getting married. I will not get between them because I am pregnant." I explained, running my hand through my hair. "I don't want him to be with me because of the baby." I sighed. "A lot of people have babies without getting married." I added.

"Elise..." My mother gave me a begging look.

"No, Mom. I decided." I said firmly.

"It isn't just about you, Elise. Think about your baby." My father breathed deeply. "Even about Chad." He added and stormed out.

Chad's POV

When I arrived home, my parents and Alissa were sitting on the couch waiting for me in the living room.

"I told you to stay away from Elise. As you didn't listen to me, you even got her pregnant, now you will take responsibility for your actions. You will get married to her as soon as possible." My father snapped as he saw me. "Break off the engagement with Daniella." He demanded.

I breathed deeply, running my hand through my hair. "I will not." I said firmly. "I will not break off my engagement with Daniella nor marry Elise." I informed.

"What the hell are you talking about?" My father snapped.

"Chad, Elise is pregnant. You can not leave her on her own with your child." My mother intervened.

"I don't say I will leave her on her own. I will take care of my baby, but I will not marry Elise."

"You will marry the mother of your child. I will not let my grandchild be born out of wedlock. In our family, no child was born out of wedlock." My father said confidently. "It is enough. I am tired of your irresponsibility. Grow up!" My father snarled.

"Dad, it is an old tradition. Now it is normal to have a baby without getting married." I commented.

"I am not interested in what others are doing. To protect our family traditions is my responsibility. You are Carter. And you will take all responsibility for your actions as Carter." My father said firmly.

"No, I will marry Daniella. Moreover, Elise doesn't want to marry me." I said and left.

"Chad, come here!" My father shouted behind me, but I ignored him.

Today, Daniella came back. I decided to tell her about Elise's pregnancy.

I knocked on the door, rubbing the nape of my neck nervously.

"Hi, darling. I missed you." She said and hugged me as soon as she opened the door.

"Hey." I hugged her back.

I was waiting for Daniella in the living room while she was getting us some wine.

She smiled at me as she extended the glass towards me.

"Thank you." I took a sip.

"Are you okay, Chad? You look strange." She asked as she sat down beside me on the couch.

I cleared my throat as I put the glass on the centre table. "I need to tell you something."

"What happened? You are worrying me." She said, looking into my eyes.

I breathed deeply and confessed. "Elise is pregnant." She looked at me with wide eyes, her jaw dropped. "With my baby." I added.