Chapter 45 - The ring

Chad's POV

Daniella and I started dating about two weeks ago. I introduced her to my family. They liked her too, but as a person, not as my girlfriend; they kept asking me about Elise, and they wanted us to be together again. But the breakup was not my decision, Elise wanted it, and I respected her decision, as much as it shattered my heart into a million pieces, making me suffer every day without her. She didn't love me or her love wasn't enough to accept me as I was and trust me. But Daniella was different; when I told her about Elise and I, she showed understanding.

I opened the locker and pulled a red velvet box out. I sat down on the bed, leaning my elbows on my thighs, trailing my fingertip along the box.

 I sat down on the bed, leaning my elbows on my thighs, trailing my fingertip along the box

I sighed as I opened the box and took the diamond ring. It was my grandmother's engagement ring. The ring embodied classic vintage style. The center stone was accented with a floral inspired prong head. The ornate carved filigree on the shank and prong head were set with eight natural recycled diamonds.

My grandparents met at university; they were so in love. Before meeting my grandmother, my grandfather was engaged to someone else. After falling in love with my grandmother, he broke off the engagement. His father got angry at him and disinherited him, but after a while, especially after my father's birth, his family and they made peace. Alissa and I grew up hearing their love story. They were so in love now too. On my father's 20th birthday, my grandmother gave this ring to my father telling him that when he found his true love, he proposed to her with this ring. Then he met my mother, and they fell in love at first sight. My father proposed to my mother with this ring. This ring became our family tradition, handed down the next generations. On my 20th birthday, my mother gave this ring to me, telling me to propose to the one with this ring.

I ran my hand through my hair while trailing my fingertip over the ring gently. I closed my eyes, sighing. I put the ring back into the box and stood up. I put the box into the locker and closed it. I grabbed my phone and left afterwards.

I stopped on the way and went to the jewelry shop where we always bought jewelry.

"Welcome, Mr. Carter." The shop assistant greeted me.

"Hello." I greeted him.

"How can I help you, sir?" He asked politely.

"I want an engagement ring." I replied. He nodded without managing to hide his surprise and gave me a polite smile.

He placed different rings in front of me on the counter. I looked at the rings. I grabbed one of them. The ring was designed with channel set diamonds and intricate swirl detailing on the sides of the band.

"This." I extended the ring towards the shop assistant.

"Good choice, sir." He said with a bright smile.

I was at Stardust with Sean. I told him that I decided to propose to Daniella.

"Why are you rushing things?" Sean asked, giving me a disapproving look. "At least, wait a few months to be sure about your decision." He  said.

"I am sure, Sean." I said and sipped from my whiskey.

"Bro, you don't love her." Sean commented, sighing.

"Yes, I am not in love with her, but I like her. Daniella is a kind, caring, understanding and nice woman." I confirmed.

"But it is not enough. You know, Chad. Don't be so stubborn." He warned me. "You still love Elise." He added.

"No, I don't." I lied, running my fingertip around the glass.

"You could not even touch Daniella. Do you think I don't feel it?" He mocked. "Did you have sex or make out with her?" He gave me a knowing look.

"No." I muttered.

"See." He gave me a sly smirk.

I breathed deeply, annoyed. "I will propose to her. End of discussion." I sipped all of my drink in one sip and stood up. "See you." I waved at him and left.

****

After taking a shower, I put on a black suit and white shirt. I put the velvet box into my pocket and went downstairs.

When I wanted to leave, my father stopped me saying he wanted to ask me something about the project. I nodded as I took off my jacket and placed it on the couch.

After talking to my father, I stood up and grabbed my jacket. Suddenly, the box fell down. When I wanted to grab it quickly, Alissa saw it and took it before me.

Fuck!

"Give..." Before I could stop her, she had already opened it. I ran my hand through my hair, closing my eyes, cursing under my breath.

My family looked at it in shock when they saw the ring. I snatched the box from her hand and closed it. I put it into my pocket.

"What does this mean?" My father snapped.

I breathed deeply as I replied. "I am proposing to Daniella this evening."

"I don't give you permission. You will not marry her." My father snarled.

I gave him a mocking smirk. "Dad, you never approve my decisions. I got used to it."

"Chad! Don't talk bullshit! I will not let you ruin your life." I rolled my eyes. "Yes, Daniella is a good girl, but you don't love her." He gave me a serious look. "I can not let you marry her while you are in love with someone else." I clenched my fist as my father mentioned about Elise. "You will be unhappy. Plus, you will make Daniella unhappy too. Do you think any woman will be happy while she knows her husband loves another woman?" He gave me a knowing look.

I breathed in deeply as I ran my hand through my hair. "I made my decision, Dad, and I will not change my mind." I confirmed and left.

Daniella and I were having dinner at the restaurant. I decided to propose to her here.

"You are silent today." Daniella commented as she put her fork and knife on the plate.

"...Umm." I cleared my throat and pulled the box out of my pocket. I opened the box and extended it towards her. She looked at the ring, surprised. "Will you marry me?" I asked.

"Chad..." She mumbled, looking at the ring.

"I know we have known each other for a short time, but..."

"Yes." She replied, smiling, looking into my eyes. "I will marry you, Chad."

I smiled and put the ring on her finger. I stood up and approached her. She stood up and hugged me. I hugged her back.

Yes, she accepted my proposal. I should be happy. But why am I not happy?