"Why are you being nice to me?"

Alex:
I stood squatting behind a dumpster, my shaky, numb, fingers held the lit cigarette I was smoking. I almost had a heart attack when a familiar voice snuck up on me.
"Care if I join you?"
It was Remington.
I raised a brow, staring straight ahead at the brick in front of me. Remington squatted down adjacent to me, lighting up himself. He puffed a cloud of smoke before speaking.
"You have somewhere you want to be dropped off to before we go?" Remington said
I shook my head, keeping my gaze with the brick as I puffed on my cigarette. Remington frowned as he brought his own cigarette to his lips.
"You know..." Remington stared at the ground "You could also stay with Sebastian, Emerson, and... me?"
I looked at Remington, his nose and cheeks were a soft cherry red from the cold. His brown eyes glassy and blood shot. I wanted him to hug me, to kiss me and tell me everything's gonna be okay- but at the same time- I wanted to vomit. My stomach was twisted in knots, my head swirled with things I wanted to forget. It seemed all the good memories were getting eaten up by the bad ones. Soon there would be nothing left. I would just be... empty. I hated the thought of that. I wish we could start fresh, a blank slate. Before the fame, the drugs, the song- everything.
Remington looked at the ground then at me then back again. He looked like a kicked puppy.
Fuck
Why does he have to be so cute?
Remington looked up at me for a second, his dewy eyes looking tired.
"...please Alex...?"
I puffed on my cigarette one last time before stepping on it. I stood up, my cold fingers touched Remington's cheeks. He looked up at me and bit his lip.

...

Remington:
Alex stared out the van window, leaning on her arm, half asleep. Her lips were blue, she was shaking. I leaned forward and turned up the heat.
"Alex? Are you okay?" I brushed my finger tips across her other arm
She flinched and I pulled my hand back.
"Sorry- I..." I sighed "Are you cold?"
"N-no..." Alex shifted, closing her eye using her arm as a pillow
I rolled my eyes and smiled to myself. Classic Alex. I took off my jacket and laid it on top of her
She opened her eyes, sitting up and looking at me.
"Why are you being nice to me?"
My heart broke for her.
Why am I being nice? Because I love you, you dummy!
My head screamed at me, but instead; I brushed the hair out of her face, twisting it around her ear.
"Come here." I said as I pulled her close to me.
She didn't protest as she curled up into my side, laying her head over my chest. She loved to fall asleep to the sound of my heat beating. I rubbed her back and kissed her forehead as she drifted off to sleep.