I Can't Lose You

A/N: Another request made by Reisi on Archive of Our Own! This is another au that I really enjoyed writing so I hope they like it! Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

News broadcasts all over the world played their messages. People tried to go into one city so the military could protect them only for the cities to be over run. Families were torn apart. The world as they knew it fell apart in a span of three days. The infection was incurable. The dead came back to life, hungry as they had their first taste of blood, guts and skin. If you got bit, you might as well kill yourself before you turned into one of those things. The only way to kill them is a hard blow to the head.

The world watched as people who were nobody's all of a sudden became leaders as they tried to protect their group. Some groups were idiots, some smart. Some good, some bad. Some large, some small.

The group that Red was in charge of was a larger groups than others as they camped outside in the woods, broad daylight right in that moment. All had their jobs for the day. Yellow and Blue was out collecting berries that could be eaten while Gold, Crystal, and Sliver were getting ready to do a run of supplies. Sapphire, Black and Pearl were setting up the tents while Diamond sorted out the canned food. Green was chopping wood while Platinum was carrying the wood to the campfire and lastly Ruby and White were doing the laundry. Emerald making some traps so they would hear the coming in the middle of the night.

Red was happy with the way things were going so far. When it was finally the end of the day, everyone gathered around the campfire and talked to each other.

"So then while Crystal was trapped, Silver was like nope as he killed all the dead while I was in the back gathering what medicine we needed." Gold said as he was telling his story, Silver rolling his eyes as Crystal just blushed.

"Thank you Gold for that scary story." Yellow whimpered. "I still have to sleep. How am I suppose to sleep now?" She whined as she shivered. Gold smiled and wrapped an arm around her waist. "Don't worry sweetheart I will protect you." He said before he kissed her on the temple.

Red chuckled as he watched his group. He loved these people like they were his own family. He looked down to see where Green was slowly starting to fall asleep against his chest before he looked up to see some others trying to stay awake before he declared it bed time. "Alright who is taking first shift?" Red asked, hoping that someone would volunteer so he could just hold his small boyfriend until he fell asleep.

"We will." Crystal and Silver both replied as others nodded before climbing into their own tents. Red thanked the both of them before he stood up, holding Green in his arms. "What? Did I fall asleep?" Green whispered quietly as he rubbed his left eye. "It's time to sleep now. Come on." Red quietly told the smaller male, Green blinking up sleepily at him before placing his feet onto the ground, shivering.

Red opened up the tent, letting Green climb inside first before he grabbed the lantern and crawled inside himself. Zipping the tent closed, Green climbed into their sleeping bag bed that he made earlier waiting for Red to change. Said male quietly climbed into the bed, wrapping the blankets around them before he pulled Green close, leaning over to dim down the lantern so they could sleep.

"When is your shift?" Green whispered quietly as he snuggled into the raven haired males chest. "It's the next one with Gold." Green nodded before he leaned up, Red quickly getting the messaged before he leaned down and placed a small kiss on his lover's soft lips. "Goodnight."

Red smiled as he stared at the tent wall, hearing Green's quiet snores already. The dead came back to life eight months ago and so far his group was doing well. Sure he didn't like it when they camped in the woods, he rather preferred an abandoned house, but sometimes they had no choice. And he accepted that, all he wanted to do was protect the boy that was in his arms. So when Professor Oak died, Red stepped up in becoming a leader and trying to be their for Green at the same time.

Which he believed he did well in. But now Green was terrified of the dead and freezes up when ever he sees one coming at him. It's like his brain forgot all of his fighting skills he had learned over the few months. So the others were slowly trying to get him out of that fear, but it just wasn't working.

"Hey it's your shift." He heard Crystal whisper and Red tapped the side of the tent, letting her know that he heard her. Slowly, ever so slowly he climbed out of bed, and out of the tent without waking Green up to go do his shift. The quicker he got it down, the quicker he can go to sleep.

Next Morning

Everyone woke up at the rise of dawn, quickly packing up and in no time at all they were back on the road. Or hiking in the woods as everyone carried a bag on their back so not one person did all of the heavy lifting. "So where are we going?" Green asked as he walked beside Red who was looking at the map. Gold huffed as he stopped beside them and nodded. "We are really close! Once we get to this cabin, we can probably make it ours." Gold panted.

"Am I going to fast?" Red asked as he looked at the others who were fine. "No I was in the back of the group so I had to run up here to check the map." Gold huffed as he grabbed his bottle of water. Red smiled as he looked back at the map. "Okay let's keep going." Gold groaned as he jogged away from them to take up the back as Green giggled. Red shook his head before he turned and kept on walking.

Soon, everyone cheered as they finally got to the cabin, or more like a huge freaking cottage. "Hm very little windows, we can easily make some traps. Yeah you guys picked a good one." Emerald beamed as he looked at all the places he could build traps.

"Alright, Gold! Your coming with me to sweep the cottage, the rest of you break into pairs of two or three and sweep the area! Green you're coming with me as well." Red said, making Green freeze up. "What? But you said Gold is going with you."

"He's coming to, now let's get going." He demanded as Gold nodded, making sure Green was following Red before he followed as well. Red sneaked up to the door, taking out his knife, Gold doing the same as Green trembled. "Get your knife out!" Gold whispered making Green jump a little before he did the same, his hand shaking.

Soon Red and Gold was quickly and easily walking through the cottage with ease as Green checked out the living room. "Clear!" Gold called out, walking into the living room as Red nodded. Green sighed in relief before he tensed up, watching a dead one walking towards him. "Alright, Green you got this. You see how they are slow, you just have to quickly run behind it and stab him in the back of the head." Red instructed as Green shook his head, taking a step back into Red's chest. Since when did he get so close?

"Sweetheart, you got this alright? Just give it a try." Green bit his lip as he shakily walked forward. Green took a deep breath before he quickly got behind it and froze as it turned around. Shrieking, he dropped the knife before he ran behind the couch. Red held up his hand, stopping Gold from killing it as he walked around the couch. "Green grab my hand."

Green quickly clung onto him while Gold threw a vase in the other direction so he could get it's attention. Red grabbed Green's hand and gently placed the knife into his palm. "Green, please I need you to do this. It wasn't even close to you."

 Green sniffled as he shook his head frantically. "I can't!" Red grabbed his chin to make sure he was looking at him. "Yes you can. I need you to get over this. I can't lose you to this." Red whispered. Green bit his lip and slowly nodded before he walked behind the screaming zombie who was trying to get Gold. Green took a deep breath as he lifted up the knife and swung it down, the blade sinking into the dead's skull.

Green let go of the knife completely as he stared at it's body that was laying on the ground. "You did it!" Gold exclaimed as Green nodded before he smiled. "I did it. I did it! Red I did it!"

Red chuckled as he pulled Green into a hug, kissing his temple. "See? I knew you could do it." Green giggled before he smiled up at him. "Thank you for believing in me." Red smiled as he leaned down and kissed his lover. "We still have a long way to go, but we will get there. One Zombie at a time."

Green nodded before he sniffled, the adrenaline was slowly leaving his system as he started to tremble again. "I'm so proud of you." Red declared while he hugged him close again, as he nodded at Gold who went outside to get the others. Green was slowly getting there. The fear still gripped him, but Red knew that they will overcome this challenge. They had to, because he can't just bare the thought of losing him. He loved Green to much to give up on him like the others have.

So for now, as Red told his little lover, they will get there one zombie at a time.