A ⋆ G E M, ⋆ E V E N S

❈ ⋯ ❈

Chapter 4: A Gem, Evens.  

❈ ⋯ ❈

I sat down outside. I looked around.

"Claire Opal Evens, I'm going to kick your ass.''

Just who I wanted.

"Aubrey." I say. Natalie sits down and goes on her phone.

"Shutup and speak, Claire."

"Okay...so...yesterday I was walking to my locker and I heard Nick yelling at some guy. This kid Lukus caught me, and when Nick found out...he brought me to this bar on the Eastside..."

''Is that what that was yesterday was about?'' Aubrey interrupts.

I nod and continue, "Anyway, he told me that we have to pretend to date as deal, I think."

Natalie sighs. Aubrey looks at me, "You don't like him, right?"

I nod, ''Of course not. I like Zane,"

Natalie smiles, "So, how's that going?"

I grin and Aubrey steps in, "We don't have time for details. What are you gonna do about Nick?''

I shrug, ''I honestly don't know...but I just don't want to take a chance, you know? Getting hurt."

Aubrey nods, "That makes sense."

I nod and stand up, "Well, I gotta get to class."

Natalie stands up and flips her hair Aubrey follows. She takes out her phone and walks the opposite way.

I walk towards my locker getting my books for my next class.

"Evans,"

I don't notice it.

Here's the thing about me. I'm not at all popular. In fact, I'm far away from that term in general. When people talk about "Evens" I always know it's my brother.

He's a star football player, soccer, and tennis player. Along with track and swim. He does everything. Keeps him out of trouble as my mom says.

I feel someone poke my shoulder and I jump towards them.

"Woah, Evens. Chill. It's just me." Nick says with a blank expression. "Everything alright?"

I shrug, "When did you start caring?"

He rolls his eyes, "If I would know if you were such a bitch I wouldn't have saved your life last night."

I don't respond and turn around walking towards my class.

"Claire. I didn't mean it-"

"What did you mean, than? Sorry, I'm just a bitch towards you. Didn't realize I was doing that. Next time I'll be more courteous."

He rolls his eyes, "I was joking. Jesus. What has your panties in a bunch?"

I shrug, "I dunno. Sorry. Just didn't sleep much last night."

He looks around and tucks his hands in his pockets. His stance going rigid. "I'll text you later."

I look at him, "What?"

"I don't have time for this." He says and walks away.

"What?" I ask again not able to understand the situation happening.

What the hell is happening anymore?

❈ ⋯ ❈

I was overwhelmed. By emotions. Every thought running through my mind like viscous rapids of a water fall.

When did my life start already getting complicated?

I sigh and run my pencil over my paper making shapes and smalls lines.

I smile and form them into small roses. I hum and put my pencil down admiring my work.

I've always wanted a tattoo of a rose. My brother would kill me if I got one. I'd be 6 feet under.

Literally. Dead.

I chuckle to myself softly and look around the room. I check the time and hear the bell ring.

I pack away my things and gather my bag. I look around again, and leave. I grab out my phone and walk outside.

Go by the boys bathroom. I'll talk to you there.

Why should I? After your little episode.

Claire. Just do it.

Okay. Mr Nike, man. Chill.

Just fucking do it.

Woah woah woah, we don't swear over text. God says that's a sin.

Hmm.

Whatever. See ya there.

Yeah.

I walk towards the bathroom, and look around for Nick. He has his hood up and a mask on his face. I roll my eyes at him.

"Hmm. You look like a bank robber."

He hums, "I look better than you, love. That's all that matters."

I shiver as he calls me love

What the hell was that?

I roll my eyes, "You wish."

I can tell he's smiling and I can see the smallest little dimple flair up. "I don't wish. I know."

I roll my eye, "Let's just get this over with."

He looks at me.

I look at him.

My cheeks burning up. "That's not what I mean. Let's go."

He laughs, "You are a gem, Evens."