V ⋆ I S ⋆ F O R ⋆ U N K N O W N

Chapter 15: V is for Unknown 

❈ ⋯ ❈

3 new messages. A number.

Oh, Claire. I could treat you better then anyone else ever could.

You have no idea about anything. Just you wait.

They'll only hurt you in the end.

The number was unknown. I didn't recognize the number either, but my curiosity stung, and I was determined to find out who it was.

On my own time.

Who are you? 

I reply. 

That's best left unsaid. 

Zane? 

Hmm. Let me think. No. 

Eastside Gang Member? 

Never in a million years. 

Any gang affiliation? 

That would be too broad, huh? Do you even know how many gangs there are, babe? 

Why would I know that? 

It's a possibility. 

I don't respond back.

❈ ⋯ ❈

We arrived back at the clubhouse. My mind racing with thoughts, I can't begin to proceed.

We step inside and Tyler greets me immediately. A large smile on his face. "Hey, new roomie."

I smile back weakly, "hi"

Tyler takes my bag and gives me a weak smile after mine. "I'll take these to your room. I'm going to the gym after. See you guys."

Nick and I both give him a simple wave and he walks off.

I nod to myself and clutch my phone tightly in my hand. Still, not saying much.

I walk over to the couch and sit down in the corner of it.

Nick's eyes still haven't left me. I can't tell he's biting the inside of his cheek. I know he wants to say something.

I'll wait.

"Claire-"

There he is.

I look up. He looks up. Our eyes meet.

"What's going on?"

I rub my head for a moment. "This is all so stressful. Everything about this. Everyone up my ass about everything." I sigh again.

"I know it's probably way more stressful for you. Hell, I don't even know how you've kept so calm, but I'm not used to this. At all."

He nods and looks back down. "I know."

Something happened. His face has softened. His hands are tucked in his pockets. Not even in a fist. No pale knuckles. It's the first time I noticed how truly blue his eyes are.

He's sitting now.

"Trust me. I know." He looks down at my hands. His hand moves then he pulls it away. Our eyes meet again, but I take his hand in mine.

"I'm sorry," I whisper squeezing his hand gently. A soft smile finds its way on both of our faces.

We stare at each other for a few moments. It's feels frozen in time.

"What's up, fuckers! Guess who just broke up with Katie?!"

The sound scared us both. His hand retracted from mine quickly. Our eyes lost each other. 

Nick stood up. His face and fists returning back to their formal state. 

I went back on my phone. Zack sits next to me. "Hey, babe." I cringe and keep my eyes on my phone. 

"Clllaaaiiirreeeee" He pokes me. 

I slap his hand away and he groans. "You are no fun." Zack pouts for a moment. Then, a small smirk appears on his face. He chuckles. "Niiiiicckkkkyyyyyyy," He says getting up and walking towards the kitchen. 

Back to my phone. 

I look through my messages. 

Zach is annoying, huh? 

Not really. 

Hmm. Don't try and convince me otherwise, cupcake.

Cupcake?

It's something.

Something cringy.

Hmm. Would you prefer

Prefer? 

Love?

I can feel my body heat up. Anxiety poking through it. I look around weary. 

No. 

Took you a while to respond, love. What are you looking for?

I stop in my tracks. My eyes peel slowly to each side of the room. 

You seem to like when Nick calls you love, huh? 

 I don't respond. My heart hammering out of my chest. My eyes search around the room. I run to my room. 

Who the hell are you?! What do you want with me?! Leave me alone!

Call me V. 

He typed something that made everything around me stop. 

And what I want with you is something you'll see soon enough, cupcake.