T H E ⋆ S E C R E T ⋆ I S ⋆ O U T

❈ ⋯ ❈

Chapter 16: The Secret Is Out

❈ ⋯ ❈

C O L E E V E N S

My sister has always been the source of my protectiveness. As her older brother, it's my duty.

"Claire, can you make me something to eat? I don't feel good."

As my younger sister, she's a pushover.

My sister and I weren't always close, in fact, when Claire was little, she hated me.

When we became older, and our parents became busier, is when we decided it was about time to stop terrorizing each other.

I guess you can say we tell each other everything. Maybe. But, some things stayed secret.

I can hear footsteps outside my door. Finally, a knock, and she walks inside.

"Cole, can I...can I tell you something?" Claire is fiddling with her hoodie strings. This is serious.

I nod and sit upon my bed. Claire sits in my desk chair.

"Zane and I..."

My heart beats quickly.

She looks down at the ground.

"We...kissed."

Something changed in the air. My whole body heats up. My fists clench until my knuckles are pale and white. Everything around me is red.

Claire flinches when I stand up.

"I'm going to kick his ass."

Claire stands in front of me, almost immediately. "No, you can't. Cole-"

"No! Don't! You know I-" I stop and shake my head. "You know,  Claire."

She doesn't say anything. Quietly sobbing. I turn my whole body away from her.

"Cole." She whispered. I standstill. She reaches out for my arm. I jolt away.

"Get out, Claire. Get out of my room." I snap.

She looks at me for a moment. Wipes her tears, and walks away.

"Cole." I feel someone shake me from my thoughts.

It's Liam. With cheese puff dust all over his fingertips. I smack his hand away and glare at him. "Don't touch me with your nasty ass hands."

He grins at me, "I was waiting to lick them
off, but I thought I should be a good friend and get your out of your dark place."

I hum and don't respond. My eyes meet Zane's for a second and he looks away quickly.

"Where's, Claire? Shouldn't she be home by now?"

I expect Zane to ask that question, but it's Liam

I shrug, "Probably with her friends. Not that I care."

Liam smiles at me, "Oh, but you do."

I roll my eyes.

He's not wrong, Cole.

Shut it.

"What's the plan this week, boys?"

I look at Liam. "There's a party at this chicks house."

"Who?" Zane asks and I immediately want to throw up.

"Chick named...Harper or...Hailey. Something with an H."

Zane nods and stands up and goes to the kitchen. I hear the door open.

Claire.

I sigh and lean my back against the back of the chair. My eyes going on my phone.

Claire sits down. "Hey, guys."

I want to roll my eyes, but I stop myself. She's staring at me. I can see it from the corner of my eye. I can feel a sigh escape my lips, "What?"

She shrugs, "Nothing...just wanted to say hi..."

I roll my eyes and look back at her, "You said it. You are excused now."

She doesn't respond to me, and I return my focus back to my phone.

She takes a deep breath, "I'll be upstairs if you need me."

Liam stands up first and walks into the living room. Zane and I follow soon behind after. Liam grabs a controller and I sit on the couch in my designated spot.

"I gotta go to the bathroom, then I'll join you," Zane says to Liam.

Liam nods and connects his headset. Our eyes meet.

We both know what 'go to the bathroom means'

Make-out session with Claire.

I roll my eyes.

Idiot.

Liam chuckles and leans back in his seat.

"Claire Parker," Liam begins and smirks, "I can hear the bells."

❈ ⋯ ❈