A F T E R M A T H

❈ ⋯ ❈

Chapter 9: Aftermath

❈ ⋯ ❈

My eyes widened. I checked the number. I didn't recognize it.

I look around at the boys to see if they have there phones out.

Then I think about it.

Did Nick tell them about the promise? Would he really for that?

I sigh and put my head in my hands.

The ride comes to the bottom and I get out immediately. I sigh and put my phone away.

I look around and smile weakly seeing the boys walk up to me.

Lukus looks at me, "What's wrong?"

I shake my head, "Nothing. I just...where's Nick?"

Jasper and Tyler look at me. "He texted us he's getting us food."

I nod, "Oh okay."

I put on my hoodie feeling a chill go down my neck and we all move towards the food trucks. I sit at the picnic table, and tuck my hands in my pocket.

Zack sits across from me, and next to him Tyler, then Theo and then Nick.

Lukus sits next to me, Leo sits next to him, Jasper and then Jake sits across from Nick.

I eat tiny bits of my pretzel and fiddle with my braids nervously.

I feel my phone vibrate and I jump.

Is everything okay?

I sigh relieve when it's Nick's name that pops up.

Yeah. I'm fine.

Okay.

I put my phone away and look around at everyone listening in to the conversations.

"Look, I don't care what you say, I think guys that start a conversation with two y's in "hey" are fuckboys."

Zack laughs but doesn't say anything else. Tyler shrugs, "Let a fuck boy be."

Leo feeds in, "Shut up, Jasper. You always start conversations like that."

Tyler and Lukus laugh and I join in. Tyler shrugs, "You two are both idiots. Stop sliding into other girls dm's and you won't have this problem of being a fuck boy."

Jasper shrugs, "Not as much as Zack"

Zack gasps and acts offended. "I only use what I have."

Leo laughs, "What? No brain?"

The boys all laugh, and Zack rolls his eyes. They all begin to get up and I follow them.

Jake speaks up first, "I say the maze, and whoever gets out last has to buy take out for the man-cave tonight."

"Oh shit! It's totally on!" Zack laughs and walks into the maze.

"Alright! Teams of two! Get together!"

I look at Lukus and he smiles at me and grabs my hand. Zack and Jasper go together, the twins and Nick and Jake.

We all begin to go in, and Lukus and I have a strategy. Make an indent in the dirt showing we've been there and always go right after 2 lefts.

It had to work. No way I'm buying food for 8 gang members.

Lukus directs me to take a left and I listen to the order steering clear of a the tuffs of corn stalk sticking out into the path.

He looks around for a moment, "Someone's close to us, we need to stop for a second."

I nod and standstill. Lukus doesn't do anything for a few moments and I look around too.

"Surely it's just the boys messing with us."

Lukus nods, "Yeah. Right. The boys. We should keep moving."

I smile and nod and Lukus grab my hand and put me in front of him. He stays closely behind me, and I suddenly hear voices.

Lukus tries to push me further away from them, but I can't help but stop.

"Keep going, Claire. Don't stop."

"What's going on, Lukus?"

Lukus grabs my hand and pulls me towards the exit.

"Lukus! Stop! What's happening!"

"Claire. Keep moving."

I follow. It's like my feet are obligated to move at his words.

"Lukus, I'm scared."

"Don't be, Claire. You're fine."

He grabs my hand and pulls me out of the exit.

I feel my heart beating. My whole body becomes numb.

I can hear the sound of punching and grunting.

I close my eyes and I feel another person grab my hand.

"Claire. It's me, Nick. It's okay."

"What's going on? Please tell me."

Nick shakes his head, "Come on. You need to come with me, okay?"

He gives a look to Lukus and Lukus walks away towards the sound.

Nick squeezes my hand, "Come on. We don't have much time before they notice we are gone."

Normally I wouldn't think much of what someone is saying, but at this moment, I am overthinking every word I can.

"We don't have much time before they notice we are gone."

It's that they again.

And I think I know what that "they" means.