Cleanse

Jackson POV

"Biscuits, biscuits, biscuits, biscuits."

"Mom, what are you doing?" I watch my mother sit in a praying position chanting the word 'biscuits'.

"Maybe if we pray about biscuits, Mark will wake up."

I look to the left of me and watch Mark.

One agonizing month has gone by. Mark hasn't woken up and his wounds are still almost fresh. I knew his recovery was going to take long, but its killing me.

"Biscuits, biscuits, biscuits, biscuits, biscuits." Mom continues her strange chant.

"Good afternoon everyone." Dr. Kim walks into the room with a metal tray cart.

"Good biscuit afternoon."

"Just stop." I shake my head.

"Biscuit?" Dr. Kim asks confused.

"Ignore her." I tell him blankly.

Dr. Kim laughs. "You two are hilarious."

"Well you know, I'm his mother so it just runs in the blood." Mom smiles confidently.

"What are you doing?" I change the subject. I look at Dr. Kim inserting medicine into Mark's IV bag.

"It's medicine to ease pain. It's time to clean his wounds. We don't want him to get an infection."

"You should help Dr. Kim, Jackson. Mark would be so happy if he knew that you helped clean his wounds!" Mom beams with joy as she claps her hands.

"Actually, that isn't a bad idea." Dr. Kim smiles at me.

After a minute of mom's nonstop persistence, I reluctantly agree to help clean Mark's wounds.

Dr. Kim opens Mark's hospital gown.

"3 of his ribs are broken and his lungs are bruised, hence why his breathing is so shallow. So in his chest area, you have to be extremely careful. Like washing a newborn baby." Dr. Kim explains deeply.

He cuts the bandages on Mark's chest. The sight of his chest causes a wound in my heart. Stitches are littered across chest.

I still don't understand or know what him and Mai were doing to cause all of this.

Dr. Kim and I start to clean Mark. I watch Mark's face grimace as the wet rag touches him.

"Yes Jackson. Clean your man. Clean him real good." Mom rests her hand on my shoulder.

"Why are you still here? You're so damn annoying."

"You love me. Just how you love Mark." Mom slaps my back.

"Oh? Is this a one sided love?" Dr. Kim smirks as he listens to the irritating woman's words.

"Kind of." I mumble.

"YES! YOU ADMITTED IT! JACKSON, I'M SO DAMN PROUD OF YOU!" Mom hugs me and jumps around the room.

"I didn't admit anything."

"But yet you did." Mom smirks.

Dr. Kim laughs loudly at our quarrel. After his laughter dies down, we continue to clean Mark.

"So Jackson, what did you mean by 'kind of' earlier?" Mom and I sit in Mark's room.

I'm in my usual spot next to Mark and mom sits in her usual spot across the room.

"What do you think it means?" I retort.

"You love him don't you?"

"Maybe."

"But he's too innocent?"

"Yep."

"You're scared he won't like the true you?"

"Yes. More like he'll be scared of me."

"You don't want to tell him your past because you feel like he won't accept it?"

"Yeah."

Mom sighs and stands from her seat. She marches to me and pinches my cheeks.

"Ouch!"

"Jackson Wang! You know Mark! You've known him for almost a year dammit! Mark is so sweet, he's like an angel from above! Do you really think he's going to judge you?"

She has a point but, Mark, the sweet angel, would cry if he knew my past.

"You never know." I respond.

Just before mom starts to yell again, beside me I hear a whimper.

I push the woman, and I stand up lightning fast.

I stare at Mark.

It looks as if he's having a battle between himself and his shut eyes.

"Oh my God. Is he waking up?" Mom whispers behind me.

Slowly, Mark's long eyelashes break apart and finally, after a month, I see those warm brown eyes.

I want to scream with joy but that's not who I am.

His eyes stare into mine. His brown orbs look lost and dull. Pained and lonely.

A smile steadily creeps onto his lips.

Then he whispers. It's faint and soft almost inaudible, but nevertheless, I hear it.

"Hi master."

Yay! Mark woke up. Do you think he heard Jackson's and his mom's conversation?(:

Thanks for reading!
Baaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiieeeee