Chapter 8: High

Another picture of Keith and Anita, but is anyone complaining?? XD

Being stoned was weird. Not bad, but not as good as I thought it would be either. The way some people (like Paul) smoke grass, I thought it would be this amazing thing that makes me see the world differently and forget all my woes, but it was mostly a hazy, giggly feeling. 

More than the drugs, the thing getting me high was being anti-me, flirting with Keith and Anita. They were like freedom personified, everything they did was exactly what they wanted to do, uncensored and unfiltered. And they took me along with them, and it was like we were the only three at my party. I'd never had so much fun, not ever. Even dancing couldn't make me self-conscious, or Linda's embarrassing anecdotes, I was completely uninhibited. 

"I'm going to bed," I heard Paul tell Linda. He'd been off all night, grumbling about this and that. It was probably hard to see all his musician friends so happy and successful now that he was retired.

Keith and I sat down, sweating, to let Eric and the two blondes make a spectacle in my living room. Just as we'd settled down, he whispered in my ear, "Come with me." Then he took my hand and pulled me into the kitchen. 

"What is it?" I asked, breathless. 

He didn't respond, just put his hands on either side of my face. They were rough, calloused from years of playing guitar until his fingers bled. And also just age, I realized with a start; he was a grown man. But that didn't stop me from opening my mouth, as soon as his tongue poked against my lower lip. He was the best kisser I'd ever met, though that wasn't saying much, but I couldn't imagine it got much better. The way he ran his hands over my body and kissed down my neck, across my collarbone, and back up to my mouth, reminded me of a hurricane, his touch crashing against me. When he finally pulled away, I almost fell over from dizziness.

"Easy there," he said, holding me up at my waist, his thumbs digging into my rib cage. "Maybe we should go lay down. Where's your room?"

"Uh, I..." Touching my forehead, I tried to sort out my thoughts out. "That's probably not a good idea."

"Why not baby?" he asked, trailing his fingers down the neckline of my dress.

"Paul's up there, and Linda's here, and your girlfriend!"

He laughed so hard at that, he accidentally snorted, which only made him laugh order. "She'll probably want a go at you after me, if you're up for it that is." He slid the strap of my dress off my shoulder so he could touch my bare breast, exhaling warm air on my skin. "We're not really the jealous types."

Something about his words made me remember Brandon, telling me it wasn't groovy to me jealous at Uncarbonated, and I knew I couldn't sleep with him today, as much as I found myself wanting to, wanting to see him naked, for him to see me naked, pin me to the bed beneath him and fuck me till I couldn't stand. But before I could say anything, there were footsteps on the stairs, and I whipped my head around to see Paul standing there, looking murderous.

"I think this party's getting a little too out of hand."

Keith stepped back from me, and I hurriedly fixed my dress, praying Paul hadn't seen anything. "C'mon man, we're just having fun."

"And I'm glad, why don't you continue the fun elsewhere." He walked out to the living room, and barked the same order at the people there. A few people whined, but then Linda said something I couldn't here, and they started to file out.

"Well, I guess that's my cue Birthday Girl." He pulled me in for one more kiss, and I laced my fingers through his hair to kiss him back. It was almost painful to let him go.

Anita popped back in, smiling wide enough that I could see her gums above her yellowing teeth. "Goodbye, my darling." She pulled me in and kissed me softly. "We'll see you again soon; I'll make sure of it."

When they left, I physically felt myself deflate, collapsing into a kitchen chair, laying my head on the table. Anti-me was gone, she left the party with Keith. Now I was just boring old Lorraine again, longing for sleep. I looked up when I heard someone walk up to me to see Linda standing with her hands on her hips.

"Did you have a good time, sweetie?"

"Yes," I said, as though it were as simple as that, when it was everything and anything but simple.

I know this chapter is short, but I feel like it's better to have a shorter chapter than to write more than is necessary to the story just to pad it out, hope you guys agree! I'll try to post soon again. I've been updating frequently, which I'm happy about, and will probably continue for the foreseeable future. As always, I love hearing your comments and questions, thanks for reading!!