Chapter 42: Betrayal

"Do you want to go out for tea with us?" Rosemary snuck up on me after last block, a happy smile painted across her fairy-like features. "Since there's no practice on Mondays."

I hesitated, caught off-guard. "Will Thelma be there?"

"No, we don't go out with her," Cammie said, earning a stern look from Rosie.

"Why not?" I asked defensively.

"That's not what she meant; we're all good friends," the cheer captain assured me. "It's just that Thelma tends to avoid us outside official events." She lowered her voice, even though Cammie could still easily hear. "That's why I was so surprised when she came to the cinema with us, but she's always welcome."

I pressed my fingers to my temples, embarrassed I'd gotten so protective so quickly. "Alright, tea sounds lovely, but I want to find Thelma first. Do you know where she is?"

"I think she's meeting with Mr. Grant," Cammie said, grinning broadly, or maybe it was because her mouth was so oversized.

"Thanks, meet you out front in twenty."

Obviously, I knew my way to Mr. Grant's room, and could only hope my girlfriend hadn't done anything to piss him off and land herself in detention. When did she even have his class? I thought he only taught year 10 English. My thoughts derailed when I the doorknob jammed in my hands, refusing to turn. Door locked, blinds closed, but the lights were still on, casting a yellowish glow over my shoes. 

I knocked twice, almost fearfully. "Mr. Grant, are you in there? It's Lorraine Foxwell. I had a question about- uh- the homework."

After a brief shuffling, the door swung open, and there stood my Thelma, eyeliner smudged, flaxen hair askew, lips shiny and full. At first, she looked bashful, but then she smirked, pushing past me. I watched her go, the sway of her hips, her long, suntanned legs. How stupid could I have been to think someone so beautiful could belong to only me?

"Miss Foxwell? Miss Foxwell!" I whipped around to see my teacher standing there, hands on hips in annoyance. "You had a question for me?"

"Um, sorry, I- I just figured it out."

He rolled his eyes and slammed the door in my face. I didn't waste any time jogging after Thelma. I thought I might have lost her since she got a decent head start, but she'd taken her time strolling through the halls; if I didn't know better, I'd say she wanted me to catch up to her.

"What the fuck was that?" I spat.

Thelma turned on her heel infuriatingly slowly. "I don't know what you mean."

Before I could lay into her, I saw it in her eyes. She wanted to hurt me, make me jealous, but behind that rage, there was hurt, pain, devastation. After she left me at Keith's, I barely spared two thoughts about how my actions would affect her, and I never imagined she'd be anything beyond moderately irritated. What right did I have to be angry with her when I'd done the same thing? I'd been doing the same thing with Gally for over a month. 

I smiled sadly at Thelma, making her face scrunch up with confusion, probably expecting- even hoping- I'd lash out at her, and I'd denied her that catharsis. "You have semen in your hair," I informed her, before turning to meet Rosemary and Cammie.

This is a ridiculously short chapter, but I wanted to bounce between Paul's perspective and Lo's for this section, so I hope you'll forgive me. As always, I appreciate you for reading, we're past 15k now, which is mind-blowing, I love you guys!!!

My Love, My Drug, My ReleaseOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara