Chapter 37: Invisible

Hey, I already talked about this a bit in my other Beatle's fic, but I wanted to let all of you beautiful readers know too. I'm having a really hard time in my personal life in terms of my mental health, and therapy really hasn't been helping. I really enjoyed writing this chapter, and have a lot of ideas for this story I plan on getting to soon, but when I'm as depressed I have been, it's hard for me to find the motivation to physically sit down and write. I appreciate everyone's patience, and I hope, when this episode passes, I'll be back to updating more frequently. I love this story so much, and only want to publish high-quality chapters for you guys, so I'm taking a bit of time with it.

Also, smut in this chapter, ** these'll be around it.

"Vanilla or chocolate?" Gally asked as we drifted through the supermarket, picking up ice cream.

"Chocolate."

"Hot fudge?"

"Yes."

"Pecans or walnuts?"

"Both."

He smiled, putting the bags of nuts into our carriage. "Good choice, I love salty toppings on sweet things."

"And sweet toppings on salty things," I added. "Like raspberry salad dressing."

Gally offered to pay, but I insisted, and he didn't put up a fight, which I was glad for. The best thing about living with Paul was the pocket change. We took a cab back to my house, and I leaned into his arm, enjoying his warmth.

"I'm happy you phoned me," he said, playing with a lock of my hair. "I was worried when you weren't in English class today."

Instead of responding directly, I just nodded, smiling. After my fight with Paul, I went back to sleep for a few more hours, ignoring phone calls most likely from St. Peter's asking if I was out sick. The only reason I crawled out of bed and phoned Gally was that I couldn't get memories of Paul out of my head. Images bounced around at the speed of sound; I remembered us sleeping together, but before I could recall the pleasure, I felt him through me to the ground, shake me around, screaming in my face, and I knew I was correct in cutting him out of my life. The final thought that forced me out of bed did not take place during our relationship, but happened long ago, when he thought of me only as a child. I sobbed over love lost, and he held me close to him. It did nothing to dull the pain, both physical and emotional, but I let him do it anyway.

"Sorry about that," I whispered, cuddling deeper into Gally's chest, pushing those thoughts out of my head. "But turns out I can't go a day without seeing you."

"Same here. And I'm glad you and Thelma are getting along again."

The cab slammed to a stop on Cavendish Avenue, and my body was flung forward, knocking the air out of me, an agonizing experience that thankfully gave me a moment to think. It wasn't fair to expect Gally and Thelma to never mention the other while in my presence, allowing me to avoid the fact that I was cruelly leading both of them on, but I still felt unjustified annoyance. 

"Yeah, we're all good," I said, climbing out of the taxi with the bag of groceries in my arms. "I didn't realize you two even still talked."

Gally raised an eyebrow at me as we entered through the side door. "What does that mean?"

I shrugged, leading him to the kitchen where I set down our sundae supplies, plastering on my best sympathetic smile. "I just always got the sense that you two were childhood friends, that now you mostly just waved hello and wished each other happy Christmas and stuff."