The Storm Grows

Summer 2011

The little girl stands still in fear of what the storm is bringing. She feels the tension growing stronger and stronger fueling the storm. 

"Payton," her mother says snapping the girl back into this sad reality. "Your father and I need to tell you, girls, something." she slowly looks towards their father her eyes growing more sad and lifeless. 

"What is it, mama?" the little girl's sister asks still smiling and clinging around their father's neck. 

The room becomes silent as the little girl looks at both her parents faces from where she is planted. 

Her mothers face darkens, and she slowly sees tears stream down the curves of her cheeks, and dangle from her chin like rain droplets. 

The little girl feels the storm closing in and becoming more threatening; she plants her feet with all her might hoping to withstand whatever it may bring. 

"Girls," our father says still looking at the table. "The school daddy works at isn't going well, and we may have to close it. So, your mother and I have decided to move and find a job at another school." he finishes.

The little girl is now in the eye of the storm, and can't withstand its intensity. She loses her footing on where she stands and is engulfed by the storms violent winds. 

She blankly stares at the window in front of the table and watches the empty country road before her. 

Tears begin to slide down her cheeks, like raindrops on a car window. She doesn't make any noise she just stares out the window and cries silently realizing how violent the storm was. 

She drops her belongings and runs towards her bedroom, not listening to her parents calling her from the dining room. 

She flings herself onto her green, pink, and purple striped bed clinging the pillow for dear life. 

She pushes her face farther into the pillow and pulls her legs towards her, suffocating herself in her pillow, and drowning herself in her tears.

She just hoped and wished for the storm to end, she no longer wanted to endure the pain from its intense winds. 

She cried hoping that it would all end and that it was all a dream, but the storm was too strong and created permanent damage.