The Aftermath

Summer-Fall 2011

The little girl didn't dream hard enough to erase the damage the storm had done. 

She realized the damage was severe and permanent. She had to move and leave her friend behind. 

She had to leave behind all the memories she shared with others in the home in which she lived. 

She would miss its blue siding and rock driveway. The Barbie house in between the garages and the playground in the backyard. The big tree up front that caught fire on Halloween one year.

She wouldn't miss the BB gun bullet which was shot by one of her fathers' students, that hit their living room window in the top right corner. Or the tires marks driven through their yard by other students, or even when they would egg their house. 

She would not miss the fire ants which attacked her on top of the metal tube under her driveway for drainage. Or the scars and bruises from falling in the rock driveway; or her crazy neighbor whose yard she fell in when her shoelaces caught on the peddles of her bike. 

She wouldn't miss the physical pain brought by those things, however, she would miss the memories that came with it. 

The little girl had to leave behind her first friend, her best friend. She had to live in a new house, in a new town, with new people. 

She had to basically restart her life from scratch and try to fit in. 

The storm really did destroy what life the girl was already starting but gave her a chance at a new one. 

She just hoped it would get better, now that the storm had already dealt its damage and subsided.

But, oh was she wrong.