Continuous Heartbreak

2012-2013

The little girl walks to her bus yet again.

She takes her seat in the same spot near the window. 

She stares at the same people getting on and off, and the same houses moving past in a smear of colors.

She goes to the same classes, with the same people, at the same time, every day.

"Payton, I'm sorry but I can't make it."

It's the little girls first birthday party ever, she's turning 9 and she invited many of her classmates.

But, here she sits at the roller rink by herself. 

3:20 PM

The party started at 3, and so far only 3 guests have arrived. 

She continues to roll around the rink, drowning in her sorrow.

4:00 PM 

Its an hour later, and the same 3 guests are still here.

No one else arrived to celebrate her birthday, cause no one cared

4:45 PM 

The little girl sits at the table the candles before her lit and crackling with life. 

Her three guests sit around her. 

Justin, Janna, and Sammy

Her only true friends were there; followed by Justin's mother and older brother Jacob, and the little girl's younger sister.

3 official guests and one tag-along came for her birthday, out the 30 students she invited.

She felt tears forming in her eyes threatening to fall, but she drew in a breath and blew out the candles. 

5:00 PM

"EVERYONE, PLEASE FIND A PARTNER AND MAKE YOUR WAY TO THE RINK!" the announcer says his voice echoing throughout the empty rink they had rented out.

"Payton," Justin says facing her his hand reached out to her. "Let's go, birthday girl."

{ TO BE CONTINUED }