Baby Sister

9-28-05

"C'mon grandma!" the little girl says dragging her grandmother through the hectic halls of the hospital. 

Doctors and nurses walk by and 'awe' at how the little girl is eager to reach the room her mother occupies. 

The little girl jumps up and down and skips while holding her grandmother's hand tightly. 

"Slow down Payton,' her grandmother says giggling at the little girl's eagerness. "Grandpa is falling behind a bit. 

She finally makes it to her mother's room and hurriedly opens the door rushing in as fast as her 2-year old legs can take her. 

"MOMMY!" the little girl cries as she reaches the bed her mother lays in, holding something. Her father sits on the other side of the bed watching the sports channel. 

"Hi, Payton," her mother says smiling brightly. "Were you good for grandma and grandpa?"

"Yes, yes, she was," her grandmother cuts in before she can reply. "Just as she always is," her grandfather finishes wrapping his arm around his wife's shoulders. 

"Payton?" her mother asks looking down at her. "Do you want to meet your new baby sister?"

The little girl's eyes grow and twinkle with pure excitement. 

I HAVE A SISTER?

I HAVE A SISTER!

"YES, YES, YES!" the little girl says jumping and twirling in circles shaking things in the room.

"Here she is," her mother says gesturing to the thing she had been holding this whole time. 

Her mother leans down a bit so that the little girl can see her little sister sleeping soundly in her mother's arms. 

She leans towards her little sister and pecks her gently on the forehead. 

Before she whispers quietly to her careful not to wake the sleeping infant. 

"I know I just met you and don't really know you. 

But, I'm your big sister Payton.

I love you,

And I promise to protect you...

Forever."