Ruined Party

"Let's go, birthday girl."

The little girl's heart shatters at hearing those words. She felt her eyes sting as tears began to form in her eyes.

It was her birthday, but it doesn't feel like it. 

Most birthdays are filled with joy, laughter, and smiles. 

Her birthday was filled with the chatter of the little girl's mother and Justin's mom, slow music being played, and very few smiles.

This was not a party.

This was not what the little girl imagined her first party to be like. 

She imagined the room to be drowned in laughter and talking, smiles and children playing games. 

But, life has taunted her yet again. 

Giving her vivid images of a wonderful event only to rip out her grasps just as she has it in her hands. 

"Payton?" Justin asks shaking the little girl from her sad thoughts. 

The little girl takes his hand in hers, her puffy cheeks forming a fake smile. 

"Let's go," she says happily hiding the pain inside, as they head towards the rink hand in hand. 

They begin to skate around the rink hand in hand still, going in circles continuously.

The little girl was a few inches taller than Justin, who kept falling since he was wearing rollerblades. 

After he would fall he would smile and giggle, asking the little girl for help which she always gave. 

A while later the little girl's younger sister rolled out holding Jacob's hand, as they skated around very slowly.

Songs played and played the entire time until the party ended.

"Goodbye Payton. I hope you have a good birthday and enjoyed your party!" Justin says waving hastily while smiling as he heads towards his car. 

"I did and thank you for coming," the little girl replied smiling weakly back towards the boy. 

The little girl thanked her few guests for coming and wishing them safe travels, as her mother packed up the several supplied that weren't used. 

The last thing the little girl saw made her heart drop and tears slowly trickle from her eyes, which she quickly dried as she opened her car door. 

It was a big container containing goodie-bags for those who came as a thank you,

And all of which were full and untouched.