Chapter 1 - The first meeting

"Lena, they're here," her assistant Rachel hurriedly called her.

A fresh graduate who just joined the company a few months back, Rachel still gets intimidated with her boss.

Mostly because she knew how Olena demands high standards from everyone, and she didn't want to be the weakest link in the team.

Olena sighed. She has told Rachel quite often to keep her composure at work at all times, especially when facing third party representatives but the girl still gets rattled easily.

She put on her blazer, not only because the conference room was cold, but also to bring an edge to her appearance. She always wanted to have the upper hand in meetings.

"Please give me a copy of the project brief for the video we're making," she instructed Rachel. "And samples of the product, too."

They were launching a new product in two months and Olena, as head of the marketing department, wanted to stay on top of it.

And a big part of the launch was the video project that they will be discussing with a production house this morning.

The project was an ambitious one, and the company had a huge stake on the launch. They could not afford any mistakes.

"I prepared everything already, it's in the conference room," Rachel told her.

Lena nodded, satisfied with the competence of her staff, then entered the conference room.

Everyone stood up as she entered. There were two men and one woman she was not familiar with, and she assumed were all from the production company assigned to do the project.

"Hi, I'm Olena," she said while handing out her business cards.

The guy closest to her held out a hand and gave his business card as well.

"I'm Allan, the account manager, and this is Haidee, the executive producer."

Olena nodded and turned to the last guy, expecting an introduction. But the guy just stared at her then the corner of his mouth lifted in a half smirk.

Allan gestured towards the guy, "And this is Patrick, our CEO and the director for this project as well."

He finally held out his hand in introduction. "Call me Pax," he drawled in a husky voice.

Olena frowned. Was that his natural voice or did he lower it on purpose? With his arrogant confidence, she wouldn't be surprised if it were the latter.

She shook his hand. "Lena," she said simply then sat down.

As the meeting progressed, Lena often caught Patrick's eyes looking at her thoughtfully then he would smile and nod when their eyes meet.

It was starting to bother her but she pushed it aside, focusing instead on the work in front of them.

The company seemed qualified enough, given their previous projects and the awards they have received.

She was hesitant with working with them at first because they did not go through the usual bidding process. Their President hand picked them himself.