Chapter 17 - The rock starts to crack

It has been almost a week since their chat, and Olena has yet to talk to him again.

She did not reply to his last message and Patrick wondered if he said anything out of line.

Did he sound too friendly?

When he shared his favorite lines from the movie, there was a part of him that kind of meant it. Did Olena sense that somehow?

Is she angry at him? Will she stop talking to him now?

Patrick wanted to beat himself senseless so he would stop thinking those thoughts.

He never second guessed himself in any of his relationships, and he hated being his way now.

When he saw Olena's post, he thought it wouldn't do any harm to share a simple comment.

He didn't think it would lead to a conversation that made him feel giddy like a teenager experiencing his first love.

And that's what got him into this mess in the first place.

Where Olena was concerned, his brain stopped functioning. He was all hormones and beating heart.

Damn it to hell.

He stared broodingly at the papers on his table, willing them to disappear before he sets fire on them.

He hasn't been in the mood to work this whole week, and the papers have piled up. His office manager had been bugging him about it, but he'd rather be delayed than accidentally sign something he shouldn't have, just because his mind is elsewhere.

A sharp tapping of heels on the floor near him made him look up, and he was surprised to see Haidee watching him impatiently.

"Thank god you noticed my presence at last. I thought I had to strip off to get your attention or something."

"Please don't," Patrick quickly said.

"Are you slacking off now because you worked too much this past month?"

"You could say that."

"Then take a vacation. You're dragging everybody down with you. Haven't you noticed nobody has come up to your office besides me?"

"Get to the point, Haidee."

"You've been like a bear with a sore throat the whole week. I'm the only one brave enough to enter your cave, and that's because I'm the only one not scared to lose my job," Haidee said accusingly.

"I'm just tired. Tell those cowards they should man up and talk to me directly if they have issues with me."

"Annnnd that's exactly what I'm talking about. You haven't been exactly approachable these days."

Patrick just stared at her stubbornly and Haidee softened her gaze.

"Go have a vacation, Pax. We both know it's not just work that's stressing you out," Haidee told him kindly. "You deserve a break anyway. You've been working non-stop since you started this company."