Chapter 48 - Blame it on the genes

"I don't want to lose my son."

It was a difficult admission, but Olena was grasping at straws. She hoped it would make Patrick see why they couldn't be together and finally give up on her.

Because she was not sure how much longer she can hold up if Patrick keeps trying to get close. She had always been attracted to Patrick, but now her feelings were starting to grow and it scared her.

"I know that. Of course you don't! And I don't expect you to. I know you're a package deal and that's okay. Did you think I would ask you to leave your son? Am I some kind of monster to you?"

Olena was surprised at the look of disappointment and hurt on Patrick's face, and she felt an urge to soothe away his pain.

"No, that's not what I meant," she quickly assured him.

"Then what is it?"

"It's Robert," she finally said after a long pause. "The divorce was really messy and I got custody just by sheer luck. I'm not going to gamble again and risk losing Levi by giving Robert a reason to challenge my custody."

"I'm not sure I follow... Why would your ex-husband suddenly want to fight you for your son again if we got together? How is that related?"

"Because he knew what happened between us."

Realization dawned on Patrick's eyes and he nodded slowly.

"I see."

"Do you understand now why this - whatever is between us - can't go any further?"

Patrick met Olena's pleading eyes and reached out to hold her hand in his.

"I understand why you're scared and why you think this is the only solution. But you're not just on your own anymore, Lena. I'm here. In fact, as you saw tonight, my whole family is behind us. We'll face this together."

It had been a long time since Olena felt like she could depend on anyone, and it was tempting to just let go and share her burden with someone who cared. But she was used to dealing with her problems, it was not easy for her to trust anyone.

But he is not just anyone, her inner voice argued. He had waited for you for five years? Who does that these days? It should count for something!

Olena was not one to cry easily, but the thought of having someone on her team at last - yet having to force herself to drive him away - was too much for her to bear, and she felt tears building despite herself.

Patrick could see that Olena was wavering, and he felt hope surge inside him, pushing him forward. This was his chance, and he was not going to mess it up.

He squeezed Olena's hand in reassurance and whispered softly, "Look at me, love."

As Olena's tear filled eyes lifted up to meet his, Patrick prayed to all the gods known and unknown to help him make this woman accept the depth of his feelings. Make her accept him.

"I promise you I will never let you lose your son. Just trust me, please. Give us a chance."

"What if it doesn't work between us? What will happen then? I'm tired of getting hurt and disappointed, Pax."