Chapter 45 - A man with a plan

Patrick was having trouble concentrating. It was a quarter to nine, and Olena should be here anytime soon.

She would come, wouldn't she?

The Olena he knew would never stand up a client, no matter what. Or she would at least give notice if she couldn't make it.

But the Olena he had met yesterday was different from the one in his memory. Could she have changed that much since they last met?

His intercom buzzed and Patrick almost jumped as the shrill sound broke through the silence.

"Mr. James, you have a guest. A Miss Rossi?"

She was still using her last name? Patrick frowned, suddenly feeling irritated.

"Let her in, Grace."

Patrick braced himself for the impact of her presence. He was not going to be caught unprepared again, it made him feel too vulnerable.

"Good morning, Patrick."

Olena's cool greeting only made his hackles rise.

So she was going to keep pretending they were only acquaintances, then? You're not going to get rid of me so easily this time, honey, Patrick thought.

"Lena," he acknowledged, gesturing for her to take a seat at the sofa.

"How nice to see you again. But surely I deserve a better greeting than that?"

He had a glimpse of raw vulnerability in her eyes before her mask fell back again, and Patrick smiled in satisfaction.

So she's not an unaffected by him as she'd like him to think. He was going to enjoy poking through her armor until she finally let it down. After all, he had faced tougher opponents than her - and won.

Olena refused to rise to his bait and stayed silent, a forced smile frozen on her lips.

"This is not a social call, Patrick. I'm here as your parent's wedding organizer, let's be clear on that please."

"What if I don't agree? We have some very big unresolved issues, Lena. Don't you think so?"

"No. And in case you have forgotten, I'm very much married, so there shouldn't be any kind of issues between us at all."

Patrick laughed humorlessly.

"Cut the crap! I know you're already divorced - and have been for three years."

Olena frowned and closed her eyes in frustration. She was going to kill Bessy when she gets back to the office. Having been backed into a corner, Olena decided to go on the offensive.

"It's been five years, for god's sake! We've all moved on since then. There's really nothing to talk about anymore."

"I believe I asked you a question back then. I still haven't gotten an answer."

"Wasn't my disappearance an answer enough for you?"

Patrick couldn't help but laugh bitterly at her words. He had sworn he wouldn't let her get to him but her words had cut him deep. No way was he letting it end like this - not after everything they've both been through.