Chapter 33 - Broken pieces

"The person you are calling is currently unavailable. Please try your call later."

As he listened to the voice recording again, Patrick's heart clenched. This was his tenth attempt to call Olena and she never accepted the call.

At first he told himself that maybe she was in a meeting, but as the day wore on it was obvious that she was clearly avoiding him.

Patrick considered giving her more time but he was afraid that she would run away if he did. He couldn't let that happen.

Now that he knew there's a possibility that Olena felt something for him, he can't just stand on the sidelines anymore. Yes it was still wrong, and it pained him to think of how this would affect both of their families, but he won't give up on Olena. He can't.

For Olena he was willing to do anything.

Glancing at the clock on his desk, Patrick realized it was almost 4pm. He better head to her office and wait for her there, in case she decided to leave early.

He hurried to his car and headed out.

While driving over, he thought about what he wanted to say. His brain kept wandering to pictures of a future with Olena, of spending everyday with her, and how wonderful those days would be.

They don't even have to do anything special. Just waking up next to her every morning was enough for him. But he wanted Olena to be happy, and Patrick thought of the things he would like to do to make her smile.

He knew Olena loved coffee. He would enjoy making coffee for her every morning.

Olena liked to watch sappy movies too, he chuckled to himself. He could definitely do that, he's had a lot of practice with his sister after all.

Travel, too. From what he saw on her Facebook posts, Olena loved to travel. Patrick decided to take her to Sweden soon.

But before they could do any of those, they had to deal with her situation first. He knew Olena was hesitant and scared, and he understood what she was going through.

This was a complicated situation and there was no way of getting out of it without hurting anybody, but Patrick will do everything to inflict as little pain as possible.

Especially to Olena's son, whom Patrick wants to treat as if he were his own. He will love the boy just as much as he loved Olena, because he was a part of her.

Arriving at Olena's office building, he looked for a parking space nearby and headed inside. He initially thought of just waiting outside for her, but he wasn't sure where she was parked, so he decided to go to their office and just come up with some excuse for seeing her.

"Hi, I'm looking for Olena," he told the receptionist as he entered their office. "Tell her it's Patrick."

"Oh, wait a moment please."

He heard the receptionist calling over the intercom and he felt his heart beating faster at the thought of seeing her again.

"Patrick, what's up? You were looking for Olena?"

Patrick looked up and saw Axel walking towards him.