Chapter 40 - Unexpected meetings

"Hi, Grace!"

Grace looked up at the friendly greeting and barely controlled her frown as she recognized the woman standing at the door.

She was one of many who often dropped by the President's office for the flimsiest of reasons, when it was obvious they were just there to flirt with her boss.

In the two years that she had worked with Patrick, she had gotten used to this scenario - and had gotten quite skilled at shooing them away since Patrick's mood always soured whenever he got those visits.

At first she was puzzled at his behavior. For a healthy and outrageously gorgeous man in his 30s, she would have expected him to be at least used to women's advances, welcoming even.

But he was consistent in the way he handled these women, making it clear he was not interested in getting involved in anyone.

Sometimes she would catch hints that he had been on dates, but she felt sorry for the women who assumed that those dates meant something more, because Patrick would always coldly put them in their place.

Even the other secretaries had crushes on him, and in the beginning would often drop by and chat with her as an excuse, so they would catch a glimpse of her boss as he arrived and left his office.

But he put an end to that one day with a curt observation.

"It seems we are overstaffed in the Administrative Department," Patrick casually mentioned one morning when he passed by and saw two of the secretaries attempting to start a conversation with Grace.

She barely held back a laugh as the unwanted guests scampered back to their own offices.

They probably spread the word because she didn't get any more unofficial visitors from the company after that. Now if she could only think of a way to get rid of these other women...

Her visitor cleared her throat, and Grace turned to look at her.

"Good morning Miss Mathers, how may I help you?"

"Grace, darling, no need to be so formal with me. Just call me Isobelle."

Isobelle Mathers was a popular socialite in the clubbing scene, as far as Grace knew, as she was often featured in celebrity gossip websites. Since she first came to the office a month ago, her visits have been getting more and more frequent - and Patrick was getting more and more irritable after each visit.

Grace was so not looking forward to dealing with Patrick's foul mood later, her day was hectic enough, thank you very much.

"Miss Mathers," she repeated stubbornly, hoping to drive a point. "What can I do for you?"

"Oh, nothing in particular, darling. I was just in the area and thought I might as well drop by."

Grace bit back a scathy retort, and it took all of her willpower not to roll her eyes at the impeccably dressed woman before her. She forced herself to smile at Isobelle and waiting for what she was sure to come next.

"Is Patrick in his office, by any chance?"

There it is. Isobelle is not one to beat around the bush, unlike some of the women who came here before who would try to sweet talk her first.