Chapter 49 - The choice they made

Olena froze at the question and stared blankly at Patrick, too dazed to think of a response. This was going too fast!

She had only just come to terms with letting a man in her life, she wasn't even thinking of the next stage yet.

Patrick read the panic in her eyes and held her hands tightly in his, willing her to calm down and not give in again to her fears.

"I know that this might be too soon for you, but please try to see it from my perspective... I went through hell and back just to get here - do you really think I'd be content with just being your boyfriend?"

Olena kept staring at him in silence and Patrick pushed forward.

"I don't want to lose you again, Lena. The first time I did, I almost lost my mind. I want to seal the deal, right now. Can you understand how I feel?"

As the shock started to wear off, Olena gathered herself and thought about Patrick's words and slowly nodded.

"I'm sorry to have put you through all that," she whispered.

"No, don't apologize. I did everything on my own - even when I didn't know where you were or if you'd come back, even when I tried to deny it to myself, I waited for you. Because you're worth it, love."

"Thank you. I... I don't know what to say. I've only just gotten to terms with this, I can't even get myself to think that far into the future."

"But you do love me, right?"

Olena nodded her head vigorously, determined not to let Patrick feel insecure about her feelings for him.

"Then marry me! Lena, I want to sleep and wake up beside you everyday, for the rest of my life. I know you've only started to fall for me, and I know you don't love me as much as I love you..."

Olena started to protest at that but Patrick held up his hand to stop her.

"...And that's really okay because after we're married, I swear I'll make you love me at least half as much as I love you."

Tears filled Olena's eyes as she realized the depth of his feelings for her. What had she done to deserve this man?

Nothing, her inner voice taunted. But you can do something about it now.

"Okay," she finally said after a long silence.

Patrick's head shot up at her words, a smile slowly spreading, lighting up his whole face.

"Okay? Okay, you'll marry me?"

At Olena's quick nod, Patrick suddenly jumped up and shouted, "Yes! She said yes everybody! Drinks are on me!"

The whole restaurant erupted in cheers and Olena felt her ears heating up again.

"Sit down, you oaf," she whispered while pulling at his arm.

Patrick sat down, still grinning, as the other guests shouted their congratulations.

"You've just made this the happiest day of my life," he told her, still beaming, and Olena had to laugh at the boyish expression on his face.