Chapter 42 - When she came back

What the hell?

Patrick's first thought was that he was hallucinating, imagining Olena's face on another woman.

This won't be the first time, after all. He used to see Olena's face everywhere, especially those first few weeks after she left. But it hasn't happened in a while and Patrick thought he was over it by now.

He blinked a few times, and Olena was still there.

So it's not my imagination after all.

Plus the shock registered on Olena's face was too real to be part of any hallucination. She really was here. Of all times, and of all places, he finally found her.

Judging by the expression on her face, Olena definitely didn't want to be found.

Patrick's jaw hardened at the thought and it took all his self control to push down at the anger that was boiling inside him.

So she is still avoiding me, huh? Let's see how long she can keep that up.

She had played him for a fool the first time around. It was about time he paid her the same courtesy.

Taking a deep breath, Patrick got his emotions in order, his defenses up, and his armor in place. He'd rather die first than let Olena see how she still affected him with just one look.

As he slowly made his way across the room, he could see Olena fidgeting nervously where she stood.

So she's afraid, Patrick thought, a smug smile playing around his lips. But darling, I haven't even started yet.

He held her eyes as he approached her, his steely gaze predatory.

"Hello again... Olena," he greeted her, his voice deceptively smooth.

She shifted uncomfortably, unable to meet his eyes now that he was standing right in front of her.

Silence stretched between them, the tension so palpable you could probably cut through it with a knife, and Patrick felt pleased knowing that his presence was affecting her as much.

He was about to step closer, anticipating that the action would make Olena squirm, when the woman beside her moved forward and held out her hand in greeting.

"Hello, Patrick. I'm Bessy of Dream Weddings and this is my business partner, Olena. I'm not sure if you remember me but we met during the first fitting...?"

Patrick glanced at the woman and nodded absent-mindedly. He was not really interested on who she was and where they met, as all his energy was focused on Olena.

He stared at Olena pointedly, willing her to meet his gaze. "Surely you remember who I am?"

"You two know each other?"

This Bessy woman was starting to get annoying, Patrick thought as he glanced at her irritably.

"Olena? Would you like to tell her how you know me? Or should I...?" he whispered the words softly, masking a threat that he knew only Olena would be able to understand.