Chapter 38 - Different but the same

"Dad," Patrick greeted his father as he entered the now familiar office.

Since his father's hospitalization two months ago, he had started reaching out, wanting to improve their relationship both out of guilt for mistakenly blaming him for divorcing his mother, and a desire to finally get to know his father as an adult.

His father Eric looked up at his desk and smiled warmly at him.

"Come in, come in! What are you standing there for?"

"You looked busy and I didn't want to disrupt your work."

"Nonsense! This is going to be your office soon, you better start getting comfortable," Eric teased his son.

Since their relationship has improved, Eric has been dropping hints about Patrick taking over the helm at the company.

"Dad..." Patrick warned jokingly. "Do you want me to leave right now? We've been over this. I told you I have my own business to run."

"Pffft! You also said that you had a quite capable right hand man - or woman", his father hastily corrected himself as Patrick raised his eyebrow questioningly.

"This is not my scene, though. It's too rigid... Too corporate."

"But son, you have to take over eventually. My health is starting to fail me, I have to slow down soon."

Patrick was torn between laughter and irritation at his father's tricks. Eric had been playing the sickness card at every opportunity, knowing that Patrick was feeling guilty for all the hatred thrown his way all those years since the divorce. 

"How about this - I'll give it a try for a few months. I'll come in once a week and see how it goes. Maybe I can split my time between here and my company."

Eric's face lit up at the offer.

"Great! Not really what I wanted, but I'll take whatever crumbs I can," his father said excitedly. "Can you start tomorrow?"

"Woah! Hold it, dad. I have to make some arrangements in the office first. How about I come in every Wednesday, starting next week?"

Eric looked down for a while but it didn't last long. He stood up and approached Patrick, clapping him on the shoulders in delight.

"All right, it's a good start at least," he said, winking at his son.

"Why are you after me, anyway? How about Paula?"

"Oh, I've been asking her too but her field is much farther than yours so I understand her hesitation. It seems she got your mother's artistic side while you got your business instinct from my side of the family," Eric told him proudly.

Paula was a graphic artist, so it did seem farfetched to expect her to run the family business.

Patrick sighed in defeat.

"Okay, I get it. I'll try to make it work somehow. But you have to promise that you will also take it slow. I don't want to see mom getting worried about you."