Chapter 16 - Rainy days and chick flicks

Robert and Levi went to her in law's house, and Olena was left at home that Saturday morning.

She felt awkward as they were leaving because she knew Robert was still pissed off about her refusal to join them. But she really was tired and was not in the mood for another interrogation about her fertility.

The house looked lonely without them, especially since it was now raining, and Olena was at a loss. She suddenly had a lot of time on her hands and she didn't know what to do.

She wasn't in the mood to go out either. The sound of the raindrops on the roof was making her feel lethargic and sleepy.

Should she invite her friends over? It's been a while since they all got together, so maybe this is a good time to do it.

Getting her phone from her bag, she sent a group message on Viber to four of her closests friends.

"Hey girls, want to come over? I'm flying solo at home, Rob and Levi are out. We can do a movie marathon and have a few drinks?"

Then she waited. They were more connected to their phones that she was, so she knew she'd get a response soon.

They were college friends and were the same age, but they adapted to technology better than she did. Olena was still hating on androids and wished for the time when people got by with analog phones and life was less complicated.

As expected, she heard an alert on her phone just a couple of minutes later.

It was Ria, the only one in their group who was still single.

"Sorry hun! Got a date. You should have told me earlier. See you soon?"

Olena chuckled to herself and sent a smiley face and a thumbs up.

She should have known Ria won't be free on a weekend. If she didn't have a date, she would have been traveling somewhere. The joys of being single.

Another alert and this time it was from their friend Sandy.

"Ooops, sorry girl, the kiddos have been clamouring for a road trip. I'll have a war of my hands if I cancel. Next time!"

Olena was typing her response when another message came in, this time from Leonard, the only male in their group.

"Same here. The wife will kill me if I suddenly leave her with the kids on a weekend."

Sighing, Olena messaged back, "It's okay guys. I know it's short notice. I'll just find something to do here. Maybe I'll still do the marathon and drinks!"

It was a good idea, though, and Olena decided she would go for it.

Heading to the kitchen, she cut out cubes of ham and cheese then got a bottle of red wine from the rack.

Then she walked over to their dvd collection and looked for a movie that fit her somber mood. She finally chose "The Notebook" and headed to the bedroom, suddenly excited at having her 'me' time.