Chapter 11 - When the heart knows

Patrick headed to the pantry, looking for Olena. She was probably still having coffee and he wanted to join her for a quick chat before the real work started.

He heard her laugh delightedly as he neared the room and wondered what made her so happy.

Just as he was about to open the door, he heard Jasper's hearty laugh follow hers and he froze, his fist clenching on the door knob.

"So there I was, in the middle of the street, with my pants down. Like literally," he heard Jasper say in between laughs.

"You bet I sobered up right away."

Olena laughed again and Patrick clenched his jaw as he went in.

"You two seem to be having fun," he observed quietly.

Jasper turned and eyed him carefully, their last conversation about Olena running through his mind.

"I was just telling Olena about some of my wildest days back in college."

Patrick frowned but stayed silent as he started to pour coffee in his cup.

"So... I should head back to the set," Jasper finally said after an awkward silence.

"Let's start rolling in half an hour?"

As they both nodded in agreement, Jasper turned and went out, leaving them alone.

"You're such a party pooper," Olena accused.

Patrick shrugged and feigned innocence, leaning casually on the wall as he slowly sipped his coffee.

"What did I do? I just came here to get coffee."

Olena rolled her eyes. She felt something pass between Patrick and Jasper during their short exchange earlier but she could not pinpoint what it was about.

She was sure, though, that Jasper left the room because of it. She was also sure she would not get any real answer from both of them so she just dropped it.

Let them solve whatever it was on their own. They were both adults.

Throwing her head back to drain the last of her coffee, she pushed the used paper cup in the trash bin and moved to the door .

Patrick grabbed her arm as she tried to walk past him, stopping her from leaving.

"What, you can stay and chat with Jasper but not with me?"

Patrick's voice had an edge to it, making Lena frown in confusion.

Why was he in such a foul mood? He seemed fine when she first saw him just a few minutes ago.

Then she remembered. It must have something to do with Samantha.

"Did you have a fight with Samantha or something? You seem annoyed."

He gave a sudden bark of laughter, surprising Olena at how harsh it sounded.

"Don't drag Samantha into this. I've got nothing to do with her," he snapped.