Chapter 46 - It runs in the family

"Mom, Paula - this is Olena. She's partners with Bessy of Dream Weddings."

"I remember you, dear. This is my daughter, Paula. And my son, I believe you know him already, seeing as he's the one introducing you to us."

Olena looked up and met familiar gray eyes, but ones that looked more warm and friendly than the stormy ones she was used to.

"Hi Anna. I'm glad you remember me, even though we've met only once," Olena responded shyly.

It didn't make sense, but meeting Patrick's family in their home was making her nervous. It felt too intimate, too personal.

When Patrick led her to his car, she had assumed they would meet in a restaurant or in another office. When she realized where they were going, they were already passing through the gates of the huge mansion, and it was too late to back out.

His mom, Anna, really reminded Olena of Patrick. Both had piercing and intimidating stares, after all.

His sister Paula was a bit different, she had more similar features as her father, Eric James. Olena was surprised when she first met him, he was very different from what she expected a tycoon to look like.

Instead of a stern and serious expression, Eric had been smiling all the time , lighting up his face and making him look much younger than his years. He seemed to be in a constant state of euphoria, and as Olena heard about their story, she understood why.

But while Eric's face was welcoming at that time, Paula's was crunched up in a frown and Olena couldn't figure out why. This is their first meeting, and she couldn't have made such a bad impression with just one sentence, right?

"So how do you two know each other?" Paula suddenly asked.

Though Olena had prepared herself for the question, she still froze at the suddenness of it. And it seemed like Paula had meant it that way.

So it's not just the looks she got from hee father. She got the razor sharp mind as well, Olena thought, realizing that Paula had been frowning not because of aversion, but because she had been deep in thought.

I have to be more careful around her.

Olena glanced at Patrick, half expecting him to answer, but he just returned her gaze, a playful smirk on his lips.

"Oh, we used to work together a few years ago. We met again by coincidence yesterday, during his fitting for his suit," Olena responded dismissively, hoping Paula would let it go.

She didn't.

"It seems more than that, though," Paula replied, shooting a knowing glance at her brother. "I've never known Pax to take such a keen interest in family events, especially weddings. You have to be special for him to introduce you personally to us."

Wow, no beating around the bush, huh. It seems stubbornness runs in the family.

"No, no. It's nothing like that. Bessy was supposed to introduce me, but she got tied up with a client so we asked Pax for help."

"That's not what happened, Lena," Patrick spoke up suddenly. "I distinctly remember volunteering. And if Bessy hadn't immediately agree, I was prepared to force her hand."