Chapter 25 - Losing control

Olena felt herself being shaken gently and she drowsily opened her eyes.

"Just sleep in the room, Lena," Robert told her softly. "Levi will ask questions when he wakes up in the morning and sees you sleeping on the couch."

She nodded and slowly got up, watching Robert carefully.

"Don't worry, I won't bug you anymore. I didn't want to argue with you, Lena," Robert said softly.

"I was planning to tell you that I'll be going on a business trip on Thursday and ask if you could leave work early to pick up Levi. But I guess it came out all wrong."

Olena looked at him, surprised at his announcement.

"You have a business trip? When will you be back?"

"Sunday. There's a three day conference I have to attend. My boss was supposed to go but he had an emergency at home so he asked me to take his place."

"But my event is on Friday! I can't not go."

Olena could feel a headache coming. Nothing seemed to be going her way.

"How about Levi then? Can we leave him at your mom's?"

"I'm sure she'd love to take him but her house is too far away from Levi's school. I don't want him to skip school for two days either."

"Okay, I'll take him to my parents then. He can stay with them until the weekend. Just prepare his overnight bag then I'll drop him off on my way to the airport tomorrow. Pick him up there on Saturday," Robert told her.

Olena didn't like the arrangement but she couldn't think of a better option. She felt guilty for not being able to take care of Levi at times like this.

But she knew that Levi liked spending time with his grandparents, so he wouldn't really mind staying with them for a couple of days.

She finally nodded as she stifled a yawn.

"That's settled then," Robert confirmed. "Better go to sleep now, good night."

-------------

It was already 5pm and their meeting was still underway. Olena's patience was running out, she had planned to leave early today at least.

Olena wanted to be home before Levi's bedtime so she could explain carefully why he had to stay at his grandparents for a couple of days.

She also had to pack his clothes so she could be sure he would have everything he needed.

Sighing, she closed her laptop and called everyone's attention.

"I don't think there are any more major issues that can't wait until tomorrow," she told her team. "Let's all go home early today, we need to rest and conserve our energy for the next two days anyway. All right?"

Axel started to protest but a sudden yawn stopped him.

Laughing, Olena addressed him directly.