Chapter 47 - It takes a Village

Paula fiddled nervously with her phone, too anxious to stay still. She took a big gamble today, getting her parents involved in her scheme.

Thankfully, they were both still in a love stupor so they readily agreed to participate. Now it's up to her to convince her brother.

As she looked up, she saw her brother striding confidently to her table, not noticing the admiring glances from the women in the room along the way.

How ironic that the one woman he did notice was the one who was determined to push him away, Paula thought wryly.

Patrick reached her table and took the seat across from her as he looked around curiously.

"Where's mom and dad? I thought you said this was a family lunch."

"Yes, they're on their way. They had to go fetch Olena first," Paula replied, trying to sound nonchalant but bracing herself for an outburst as well.

"What the hell, Paula! You promised to leave her alone!"

"I did, Pax. Did you see me contact her at all these past weeks? I didn't say anything about not getting our parents involved, though."

Patrick stared exasperatedly at his sister, his face reflecting his conflicted emotions. It was true, though, that Paula had kept her distance.

During the past couple of weeks, he had dropped by Olena's office several times with the lamest excuses and made sure to ask if she had heard from Paula but Olena always denied it, looking puzzled at the question.

"I can't believe this. You couldn't have at least left some pride for me, could you?"

"Well, brother, you've been pining for her for five years, do you really think your pride is more important at this point?"

As always, Paula has a knack for shutting him up, and this was no exception. He wanted to strangle his sister, but he couldn't deny the truth in her words.

"Fine, you have a point, I'll give you that. So what's the plan, then?"

"So I got mom and dad to invite her out to discuss the wedding - which is in two weeks, in case you forgot - then we'll tell her that you'll be in charge of the wedding from now on."

"That sounds so lame," Patrick groaned. "It makes me look pathetic, needing my entire family to help me get a girl."

"Well, if it makes you feel better, may I point out that you already were pathetic even before we got involved," she said smugly. "Waiting for five years for a girl you don't know when will be back, or where she went, is the height of idiocy, you know. At least dad knew where mom was all those years."

Patrick glared at his sister but couldn't think of a retort. Then Paula suddenly kicked him under the table, effectively calling his attention.

"They're here. Are you ready?"

Despite his misgivings, Patrick felt his heart jump at seeing Olena. Today she was wearing a plain red jumpsuit, but the way it hugged her curves made him want to cover her up, and away from the male eyes that followed her across the room.