Chapter 39 - Second Chances

Damn it.

Patrick almost growled in irritation as the board meeting went on. They were already working overtime, and the discussion was not getting anywhere.

He was running late for their family dinner, and his mom was not going to let him get away with it if he came late, regardless of the reason.

Especially today.

It was quite a big ocassion for their family. Since his parents got back together a couple of years ago, they had started celebrating all the milestones of their "original" relationship as they called it, as well as their new one.

That meant they celebrated something practically every other month. Patrick would have hated it, if not for the fact that he knew they were making up for lost time and he enjoyed watching them behave like giddy teenagers whenever they were together.

Today they were celebrating the day his parents first met and he braced himself to listen to that story for the umpteenth time during dinner.

He should be going on his way soon, actually. Otherwise he'll get caught in traffic, arrive late, and spend the rest of the dinner getting an earful about valuing other people's time.

"Gentlemen," he suddenly spoke up, cutting in on the ongoing argument between two board members about god knows what. He had lost track of the topic an hour ago.

"I believe we've covered the important and urgent agenda," he looked pointedly at them, silently daring anyone to contradict him. "Anything else that's still on the table can be discussed in the next meeting."

He immediately stood up, indicating that the meeting was adjourned, and headed to the door.

Fortunately the traffic was not so bad and he arrived in the restaurant just as his parents were settling down in the private room that they booked for the night.

"Mom. Dad." He greeted them as he entered the room. "Where's Paula?"

"She called a while ago and told us she was running late. But she should be here soon," his father replied.

The waiter started bringing in the food and Patrick's eyes widened at how many there were.

"I thought you said this was just a simple celebration?" He motioned at the feast being served on the table and gaped at his parents. "This looks like you won the lottery or something."

His parents glanced at each other and Patrick noticed a secret exchange pass between the two.

"What's with the look? Is there something I should know?"

His mother giggled and his dad tried to stifle a chuckle.

This is getting weirder by the minute, Patrick thought.

"Well, we have an announcement. But we should wait for Paula so we can tell you both," his father told him. "Anyway, how did the meeting go?"

"Just the usual. I get now why it's called bored meetings," Patrick replied cheekily.

A mysterious smile crossed his Eric's face, making Patrick more curious about this announcement. But before he could probe his father any further, Paula had arrived and hurriedly took a seat at the table just as the waiter finished serving their food and left the room.