Chapter 50 - Older and Wiser

This time it was Patrick's turn to stare at her in shock.

"Robert and I... Let's just say ours was a complicated relationship to begin with. I only wish we could have saved our friendship, at least."

"Is that why you've been so scared of your ex husband all this time?" Patrick carefully watched her reaction to his next question. "Did he hurt you?'

Olena shook her head quickly in denial. Robert may be many things, but he was definitely not a wife beater.

"No... Not physically, at least. But the years leading up to the divorce were really hard - on all of us. Robert was punishing me for my mistake, and I let him because I deserved it. And I thought it would help him forgive me eventually."

"When we... When he found out about what happened between us that night, he felt really betrayed," she continued And I guess he never got over it... We were friends for 7 years before we got married, did I ever tell you that?" She asked him with a small smile.

"You could still get the friendship back, maybe," Patrick offered. "I mean, I'm not totally fine with it, but he's your son's father so I understand."

"Maybe. I hope so. Levi adores his father but I know he could feel the tension whenever we get together, so it's been hard for him too." 

"I'd like to meet him," Patrick blurted out. "I'd like to meet both of them."

"Meet who? Levi and Robert? Do you have a death wish?"

"Not at the same time, of course. But yes, I'd like to see both of them. The sooner the better."

"Wait! I don't think I'm ready for that. I need to talk to them first, get them used to the idea so it won't be that much of a shock."

"I told you.... you don't have to do things by yourself anymore, love. I want to be there when you tell them, let them direct their anger at me," he told her with a  small smile. "Besides, the sooner we clear the air, the sooner we can get married."

"Let me think about it, okay?"

Patrick nodded absently, a plan already forming in his head.

--------------------------

"Mr. Rossi, there's a Mr. Patrick James asking for you at the front desk."

Robert looked up at Emmie, his secretary, and frowned, quickly running the name through his memory. It sounded familiar but he couldn't quite place it yet.

"Did he say why?"

"He said it's personal," Emmie informed him.

"All right. Let him in. Thanks Emmie."

As soon as Emmie left his office, Robert remembered who his visitor was and his jaw clenched. What was that bastard doing here? If that Patrick guy had found out where his office was, that meant he had seen Olena.

Robert's temper flared and he barely restrained himself when he saw Patrick enter the room.

"What the hell do you want? And who told you where to find me? Lena?" Robert sneered.