Chapter Eleven

My nerves are going haywire as I await my turn to dance before the panel of administrative instructors. I've wanted this for so long, worked so hard for this moment.
     As I stand backstage and watch the beautiful ballerina and one of my classmates dancing before me, I can't help but think about the past. About my missed chance. Also the first time Hoseok ever hit me.

     "Why are you being this way? You know I've been working towards this all year!" I exclaim, exasperated.
      Hoseok, my boyfriend, glares at me in the driver's seat of his car. "You can't go, Jimin. They will reject you. Your form isn't good at all. Do you want to make a mockery of us? Using my choreography? You look like shit up there!"
      My breath catches and I stare at him in shock. My fists clenching on my lap. "I don't care. I want to try. This is my dream, Hobi!"
     He laughs. "I thought I was your dream, babe? You and me? I want you to achieve your best but right now you need more work. You aren't going and that's final. I already withdrew your name from the ballot anyway."
      I gasp. "What? You can't do that! Why didn't you tell me? It should be my choice!" I scream, shoving his arm angrily.
     His glare darkens and grabs my arm painfully. I whine in pain as he squeezes my wrist so hard the circulation is cut off and he backhands me across the face.
     I'm in shock as he maneuvers my seat back and hovers over me. "Never fucking shove me again, Jimin. You are mine. You belong to me so I have every fucking right to remove your name when you plan to humiliate the both of us with your awful dancing. You look like a fucking cow up there! I refuse to be a laughing stock because of you!" He gets off me but I can't move.
     Tears slide down my cheek as I stare at the roof of his car. My face and wrists hurting. "I want to go home." I whisper.
     He starts the car. "We're going to my house."
    "Please take me home." I plead.
     "So you can emotionally pig out and gain even more weight? Hell no. We'll go to my place and burn off those breakfast calories. God knows you need a good workout."
     I turn away from him, wiping my eyes. "I don't want to."
    I can feel his eyes one me. "I really don't give a fuck what you want to do. It's better this way. I'm your boyfriend, I know what's best for the both of us. Get over it and move on. Now stop crying like a fucking baby, Park."

    Spoiler, I never got over it. I cried for weeks over missing this and he would just brush it off every time. Completely indifferent to my feelings and dreams. That's when it began. Slowly and gradually it got worse and worse.
     I don't know why I never stood up for myself after that. Maybe I was scared or afraid he'd leave me which really would have been for the best but back then I was naive and in love. Wanted to make him happy. I believed he was the only one that would ever want me. He made me believe it.
     "Hey! Good luck."
     I glance up to see Hoseok smiling at me but the expression drops when he sees my tears. "What's wrong? Are you okay?" He moves to my side and wipes my tears.
     I smile. Where was this Hoseok then when I needed him? "I'm fine. J-just nerves."
     He pulls me into a light hug. "You're gonna do great. You look amazing. They'd be stupid not to accept you into the academy. With your moves and my choreo? You're going to be unbeatable." He encourages and I bask in his words, returning the hug.
    I really needed this back then. Why is he so different now? What really changed? It's not just our relationship status but his whole personality seemingly. It's so strange.
     "Thanks, Hoseok." I step back and clear my throat just as the intercom calls my name. He gives me a thumbs up as I prepare to walk out and do my best.   
      I can do this. I can totally do this. Just pretend I'm back at the studio. This will be easy.

     It was easy. I can't stop beaming as I exit the stage and jump in excitement as Tae and how boyfriend, Jungkook, hug and congratulate me.
     "It's not for sure yet. They have to call me back." I try to explain.
     "Whatever! We know you got it! That was amazing! I knew you could dance but holy crap! I'm so proud of my best friend!" Tae squeals, kissing my cheeks.
     I laugh and push him off. I Spot Hoseok standing to the side, smiling widely.
     "I knew you'd do it. You'll get a call back for sure." He hugs me again.
     "Don't hug me, I'm gross and sweaty." I protest.
      He chuckles. "No, you're beautiful, Park. I'm so proud of you. I'll definitely be giving you my next works. Make sure you continue to do them all justice." He winks.
     I flush. "I w-will."
     "Good." He looks behind me, his expression tightening. "Look, I need to go. Be sure to get some rest, okay? Don't want you too sore."
      I duck my head, surprised by his kind words and care. "Thanks."
     "See ya, Jimin."
     "Bye." I watch him go with the same girl I saw at the party. The one getting 'attacked'. She doesn't look scared to be with him. She looks like his girlfriend...
     I frown as she slips her hand in his and they walk off. Did I see wrong at the party? I clearly remember them touching her inappropriately and laughing...I think I did....
      Was Yoongi wrong? Did he lie to me to get me to leave? I'm so confused.
     "Aye! Jimin! Are you listening!"
     I zone back in to Tae who's waving his hand over my face. "Huh?"
     "I asked if you wanted to go grab some food? We're starving and know you probably are too. Let's celebrate!"
     Jungkook smiles and nods at me. "You deserve it."
      I shake the confusing thoughts from my mind and agree. I am starving. Food always makes me feel better.
      As we leave, though, I can't stop feeling a dark presence around me. From the corner of my eye, I see a hooded figure in the shadows. Suspiciously looking like Miya.
     My frown deepens. Why is she following me? I have a lot of time left, right? There's no reason for her to be around...
     As Tae and Kookie laugh and chat loudly as we walk down the street in town towards our favorite restaurant, I pause at the door and look behind me.
      Min Yoongi stands at the end of the street, looking directly at me with a smile. He gives me a little finger salute before walking back the opposite direction.
      What the hell was that? I'm more confused than ever and a little creeped out. What the hell is happening with everyone around me...